PDA

View Full Version : Network Manager or WICD?

RedSingularity
July 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Just wondering..........
Which do you prefer?

Its WICD in my case.

RiceMonster
July 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
wicd. It doesn't require X, and it will connect even before you log in.

johnystevenson
July 23rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
how is wicd with usb modems, or is it a better replacement for wireless networking only?

heroidi
July 23rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
I Use WICD (L)

keiichidono
July 24th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I use nm-applet, but I see a lot of support for WICD so I'd like to know what I'm missing out on so that I can switch. :D

bodhi.zazen
July 24th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I use nm-applet, but I see a lot of support for WICD so I'd like to know what I'm missing out on so that I can switch. :D

Check it out : http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

It is quite easy to switch from NM <-> wicd.

Wicd is , imo, more versatile then NM.

To be honest, it all depends.

On a server I do not use any of that fancy gui stuff, set a static IP and rarely need to change the configuration.

On a desktop in general I use dhcp and almost never need to change the default settings. I can live without either on a desktop with a wired connection.

On a wireless network, which implies a laptop, but not always, I use network manager if it does what I need. This in turn depends on the wireless network (WAP) and version of NM. In ubuntu 8.04 NM does not work with my home router, wicd does. It is an issue with WPA, network manager just will not recognize the key. NM works out of the box with Ubunt u8.10, 9.04, F10, and F11 so no need to change for home use.

Wicd has some nice features (more options then NM) and if you use them then by all means switch to wicd.

Overall, if wicd were the default I would not mind. I hope they continue to improve NM.

shazbut
July 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Mostly network manager, but at work I have to use WICD for wireless since version 0.7 of NM removed GTC as an inner authentication option, for some unfathomable reason. So I voted WICD until the NM guys get their act together, stop adding features, and fix a few bugs.

juanoleso
July 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
i like the vpn plugin for NM applet and I haven't had any trouble with network manager so thats what I chose.

OutOfReach
July 24th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I don't really use any advanced features, I just need something that'll painlessly connect to my wireless network. And NM does that.

keiichidono
July 24th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Check it out : http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

It is quite easy to switch from NM <-> wicd.

Wicd is , imo, more versatile then NM.

To be honest, it all depends.

On a server I do not use any of that fancy gui stuff, set a static IP and rarely need to change the configuration.

On a desktop in general I use dhcp and almost never need to change the default settings. I can live without either on a desktop with a wired connection.

On a wireless network, which implies a laptop, but not always, I use network manager if it does what I need. This in turn depends on the wireless network (WAP) and version of NM. In ubuntu 8.04 NM does not work with my home router, wicd does. It is an issue with WPA, network manager just will not recognize the key. NM works out of the box with Ubunt u8.10, 9.04, F10, and F11 so no need to change for home use.

Wicd has some nice features (more options then NM) and if you use them then by all means switch to wicd.

Overall, if wicd were the default I would not mind. I hope they continue to improve NM.

Thanks for the great explanation. :D