PDA

View Full Version : Any computer science students on here?

era86
January 27th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Just curious if you are a student of the wonderful world of computer science...:( If so, where do you go to school? How is the curriculum?

I am just curious!

-ERA

gerbman
January 27th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Just curious if you are a student of the wonderful world of computer science...:( If so, where do you go to school? How is the curriculum?

I am just curious!

-ERA

Hello. I am a first-year Ph.D. student in computer science at Michigan State University. It's been a good time so far, though not much different than undergrad yet. My general opinion is that research universities tend to have a stronger program than undergrad-only programs, and MSU confirms this (I went to a non-research based undergraduate program). There is some cool research going on here, and hopefully I'll be making some contributions in the near future [-o<

Cheers!

YourSurrogateGod
January 27th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Yep, I'm a CS student. Last semester... thank god.

darkoptix
January 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I'm a computer science student too. Right now am going to Malaspina in British Columbia, Canada and this is my first year.

ember
January 27th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Me too - University of Karlsruhe. I hope, I will have me degree end of this summer - after nearly 6 years.

And believe me, there will be times when you will think computer science should burn in hell ;)

public_void
January 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM
First year at Hull University, UK. IMO best subject ever.

briancurtin
January 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM
im in my last semester of undergrad CS at st. vincent college in latrobe, PA. i love this semester because i only have 3 easy electives (all 3 are night classes) plus senior development project, which leaves no class monday of friday. you may ask why im awake at 5:37 AM, its drunken hunger.

raublekick
January 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM
latrobe, pa... home of Rolling Rock <3

I am a 4th year student at Millersville University in Millersville, PA. This would have been my last semester had I not been lazy the first year.

luca_linux
January 27th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I'm italian and I have to decide the course to choose: I'm not sure if to go with Computer Science (Informatica for those speaking italian) or Software Engineering (Ingegneria Informatica for those speaking italian).
I would appreciate your comments about.
Thanks.

Lord Illidan
January 27th, 2006, 06:22 PM
I'm italian and I have to decide the course to choose: I'm not sure if to go with Computer Science (Informatica for those speaking italian) or Software Engineering (Ingegneria Informatica for those speaking italian).
Thanks.

Software Engineering is more oriented towards programming...computer science is more oriented towards theory, etc.

I take Computing as an A level in Malta...

tseliot
January 27th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I'm italian and I have to decide course to choose: I'm not sure between Computer Science (Informatica for those speaking italian) and Software Engineering (Ingegneria Informatica for those speaking italian).
Thanks.
I have some friends from Ingegneria informatica and most of their exams concern Maths, Geometry, Physics, etc. Perhaps Informatica is more interesting. I got my degree in Foreign Languages but I know how (un)experienced they are with computers (ok, maybe it's just them). It's also true that the LUG in Puglia is made up of a few memebers of Ingegneria.

You should have a look at the "piano di studi" and see which suits you best.

luca_linux
January 27th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, Software Engineering is as you said in most of italian universities, but I was looking at "Politecnico di Milano"'s course, really more computer-oriented.

era86
January 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM
At WSU, we have a computer science program that covers a wide range of theory and economical software engineering practice. Then as you get into your senior year, you can choose to "specialize" in a field. I definately want to get into software engineering/design!

-ERA

dr_paranoisky
January 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM
hi!
i study media-informatics at the univesity (http://www.tuwien.ac.at/) of vienna. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna) i like it andi realy hope to finish this summer ;)

jerome bettis
January 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM
just graduated from pitt with a bachelors in cs. i'm probably going to go back or far away for a masters in the next year or so.

the job market here is not the greatest, i might have to learn oracle

Burgresso
January 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Jerome,

Congrats on your Steelers beating my Broncos! I hope you take it on Sunday!

Burgresso

beercz
January 27th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Just completing an MSc in Distributed Systems and Networks, part time at the University of Kent, UK.

http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/prospectus/msc_dsn/

I also have a BSc in Computer Science.

Do these count?

era86
January 28th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Jerome,

Congrats on your Steelers beating my Broncos! I hope you take it on Sunday!

Burgresso

GO hawks! Haha.. Anyway..

What do you guys focus on the most in classes? What is the first language they teach at your school?

-ERA