PDA

View Full Version : Why does Coca-Cola taste so different around the world?

snargfish
July 23rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Coke from Turkey tastes nothing like Coke from Brazil, Coke from the United States tastes nothing like Coke from the United Kingdom and so on. I thought it was supposed to be just one recipe, so why the different tastes? Do some countries ban certain substances and Coca-Cola have to compensate somehow, or are they secretly getting rid of some hidden supply of NEW Cola! :D

Sealbhach
July 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
My brother works for Coca Cola. Where he works they make the paste which is sent to the bottling plants. The bottling plants then just add water and ship it out. They supply the same paste for all of Europe and the Middle East, maybe they use a different paste in South America.

Ichtyandr
July 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Maybe water has different contents in different places?
Anyway it tastes the same for me everywhere :)

CharmyBee
July 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Factories.
Why are Pop Tarts insanely awful in the UK compared to the US?

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
In Brazil they can use one of Coca-Cola's original Ingredients, (Hint: The first 4 letters of the name are from this ingredient ;) )

linuxguymarshall
July 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Factories and ingredients. Living in the US they use artificial sugars because it is cheaper but in Mexico they use sugar cane sugar because it is cheaper there. So people like me pay even higher prices because we get it imported for real sugar.

mcduck
July 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Water. As far as I know factories use tap water so what kind of water comes out of the tap will definitely affect the taste of the drink as well.

I mean every single bottled drink I drink in USA tastes like fluoride. As does coffee and pretty much everything else.

I've also noticed that in USA most of the stuff is sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup while in Europe it's sugar..

chucky chuckaluck
July 23rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
i know water can affect the taste of nationally sold beers in different regions. it probably has at least a partial effect on other beverages.

starcannon
July 23rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
I buy Mexican Coke at Costco here in the states, it tastes like its supposed too. The HFS they use to sweeten in the states tastes like sheep refuse.

linuxguymarshall
July 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
I buy Mexican Coke at Costco here in the states, it tastes like its supposed too. The HFS they use to sweeten in the states tastes like sheep refuse.

Amen. american cokes suck

kickwin
July 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
I do not know about other countries but in India they appear to have used pesticides :confused: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Coca-Cola#Pesticide_use)

lisati
July 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
I do not know about other countries but in India they appear to have used pesticides (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Coca-Cola#Pesticide_use) :confused:

Broken link?
found it @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Coca-Cola#Pesticide_use

Tipped OuT
July 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Water. As far as I know factories use tap water so what kind of water comes out of the tap will definitely affect the taste of the drink as well.

I mean every single bottled drink I drink in USA tastes like fluoride. As does coffee and pretty much everything else.

I've also noticed that in USA most of the stuff is sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup while in Europe it's sugar..

They filter it though...

Toke
July 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
I don't drink the stuff.
What are the chances that the recipe is different for different areas based on some focus group study of local tastes?

I drink Guinnes and that differs around the world.

HappinessNow
July 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Factories and ingredients. Living in the US they use artificial sugars because it is cheaper but in Mexico they use sugar cane sugar because it is cheaper there. So people like me pay even higher prices because we get it imported for real sugar.

In the US you can buy the Mexican Coca-Cola which are a lot better then the US Coca-Cola 2 primary differences I noticed:

1. US Coca-Cola uses Corn Syrup while Mexican Coca-Cola uses cane sugar

2. Mexican Coca-Cola you can still buy in the old fashion-looking glass bottles, US Coca-Cola are usually in plastic bottles

I rarely drink Coca-Cola or any brand Soda.

lisati
July 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
I've noticed that Coke sometimes seems to taste different depending on the kind of container it's in (plastic bottle, glass bottle, can)

hshamo
July 23rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
H?!?!?!?!?!?!

Tipped OuT
July 23rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
In the US you can buy the Mexican Coca-Cola which are a lot better then the US Coca-Cola 2 primary differences I noticed:

1. US Coca-Cola uses Corn Syrup while Mexican Coca-Cola uses cane sugar

2. Mexican Coca-Cola you can still buy in the old fashion-looking glass bottles, US Coca-Cola are usually in plastic bottles

I rarely drink Coca-Cola or any brand Soda.

Really? They're usually in cans. Unless you mean the family sized one.

HappinessNow
July 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Really? They're usually in cans. Unless you mean the family sized one.

I buy it at a little local Mexican Bakery, they sale it in the individual size glass bottles. If you have a Mexican Bakery in your community check it out.

Since I rarely drink Coca-Cola I would never buy a family size version of any brand soda. "rarely" equates for me to about one single size Coca-Cola about once every 6 months at the most, about equal to how many times a year I eat Mexican Sweet Bread.

Tipped OuT
July 23rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
I buy it at a little local Mexican Bakery, they sale it in the individual size glass bottles. If you have a Mexican Bakery in your community check it out.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the plastic bottles. Yeah I know what you're talking about now. >.< I had a moment of dumbness.

HappinessNow
July 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the plastic bottles. Yeah I know what you're talking about now. >.< I had a moment of dumbness.

No worries, it happens to the best of us. O:)

Chemical Imbalance
July 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM

HFS sucks. You can't avoid it in the U.S.

It's probably a result of some government subsidising of corn or something like that.

linuxguymarshall
July 23rd, 2009, 10:26 PM
It's probably a result of some government subsidising of corn or something like that.

I love conspiracies.

Chemical Imbalance
July 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
I love conspiracies.

That's not a conspiracy, just economics.

Corn is a big product here.

Giant Speck
Regardless of the differences in taste, it still tastes better than Pepsi. :)

HappinessNow

Every food product and drink I check the ingredients and avoid buying any products with High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Once you get used to it it isn't that hard and you get used to knowing which products to avoid on a quick glance.

heroidi
Coke from Turkey tastes nothing like Coke from Brazil, Coke from the United States tastes nothing like Coke from the United Kingdom and so on. I thought it was supposed to be just one recipe, so why the different tastes? Do some countries ban certain substances and Coca-Cola have to compensate somehow, or are they secretly getting rid of some hidden supply of NEW Cola! :D

Well the koke they produce in Kosova is like awfull but we buy imported from Macedonia it's the hammer and from Albania the coke Rocks!

snargfish
July 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Regardless of the differences in taste, it still tastes better than Pepsi. :)

I prefer Pepsi. At least the taste is consistent! :P

Icehuck
July 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM

That's because you don't look hard enough. I haven't eaten food with HFS in it in over a year. If you look for products with low sugar, usually they don't have any.

Chemical Imbalance
July 23rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
Every food product and drink I check the ingredients and avoid buying any products with High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Once you get used to it it isn't that hard and you get used to knowing which products to avoid on a quick glance.

I do the same thing. Every now and then I get a craving for Coke (specifically). Especially after I eat a large starchy meal. Perhaps some way of balancing PH or something.

Chemical Imbalance
July 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
That's because you don't look hard enough. I haven't eaten food with HFS in it in over a year. If you look for products with low sugar, usually they don't have any.

Perhaps I should rephrase. It is everywhere here.
Yes, you can avoid it. I do also.

I don't appreciate your condescending tone.

linuxguymarshall
July 23rd, 2009, 10:48 PM

Do you live in the U.S.? Fruit juice is made with it. It is EVERYWHERE

Icehuck
July 23rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Do you live in the U.S.? Fruit juice is made with it. It is EVERYWHERE

I live in Chicago, and have no problem finding orange, pineapple or apple juice without it. I don't drink grape juice so I never bothered to look.

andru183
July 23rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
hhhhhmmm sounds like there may be sneaky people tossin of into big coke vats, or cat sediment, im never touching a coke again

Icehuck
July 23rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
hhhhhmmm sounds like there may be sneaky people tossin of into big coke vats, or cat sediment, im never touching a coke again

It's due to water and what type of sweetener that is used at the factory. You shouldn't have to worry about it.

heroidi
July 24th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Tonight i noticed this on Shwepss it's from coca-cola you know the yellow thing i tried drinking from a 2L one and then i tried one in a little 250 ML bottle they really tasted different .

HappyFeet
July 24th, 2009, 02:24 AM
The only time I drink coke is when I go out for pizza. Other than that the only 2 things I drink are seltzer water and tea.

mentose457
July 24th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I lived in Ecuador and the coke was nasty. In fact all of the pop was odd tasting. Although they had pinapple pop that was good. As for the not so the same tast of coke i would have to agree with the person that said it is the water as the water in Ecuador was really bad too.

drawkcab
July 24th, 2009, 05:41 AM

Yup.

master5o1
July 24th, 2009, 07:23 AM
In Brazil they can use one of Coca-Cola's original Ingredients, (Hint: The first 4 letters of the name are from this ingredient ;) )

Is it really cocaine in the brazillian recipe? Interesting.

Coca plant -- Excellent source of cocaine.
Kola plant -- Excellent source of caffeine,