PDA

View Full Version : Can you strip XP down to it's bare essentials?

dragos240
July 23rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hi, there are applications I miss when I use linux, but I hate all the terrible eyecandy of XP, I just want the bare essentials, nothing more. Although, until the 27th of this month, I will not use windows. But I'm wondering, how bare can you get?

ELD
July 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
After a quick google maybe this will help:
http://digg.com/software/Strip_down_yer_XP_to_bare_minimum

philcamlin
July 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
i do believe there is a windows xp lite and its 60 megs :popcorn:

doas777
July 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hi, there are applications I miss when I use linux, but I hate all the terrible eyecandy of XP, I just want the bare essentials, nothing more. Although, until the 27th of this month, I will not use windows. But I'm wondering, how bare can you get?

are you giving up windows for Ramadan or somthing?
my initial thought is that stripping down xp beyond a certian point does make the machine less useful, and may contribute to hangs and bizzarre function.

that said, you can generally disable any services that provide enterprise functions and whatnot. I saw a minimal XP PE install disk floating arround last year. if you look in all the regular places, you'll prolly find it.

you might want to consider win2kpro instead of XP, if you're just going to turn off everything that makes it xp. 2kpro is lean and fast on hardware as old as 2001.

Shibblet
July 23rd, 2009, 08:14 PM

Check this out.

http://www.nliteos.com/

dragos240
July 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Is there any application that can strip a windows cd in linux?

m@dm@x
July 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Yup. Take the XP disc and set it on fire!

Max

KiwiNZ
July 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Don't really see the need , on any PC from 2007(and earlier) up to now will blitz XP.

Icehuck
July 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
XP can be stripped down to it's bare essentials. A few years ago I gutted XP down to 300 mb and made it a live CD. The menu system wasn't a standard start menu but it did the trick for recovery and such. It was not feature complete either, but it did the trick for my purpose.