PDA

View Full Version : Hey I need a notification thing to sit in my tray to let me know when new mail...

sefs
July 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
... arrives.

1) I've tried mail-notification but ugly icons and no ssl deter me

2) New Mail icon does not work with TB3

3) gnubiff which looked promising I could not get to work

Only suggest something if you are actually using it and like it.

philcamlin
July 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
i use checkgmail

it workss great :popcorn:

Dougie187
July 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
If you are using jaunty gm-notify uses the libnotify of jaunty. So you get jaunty style notifications when you get a new email.

sefs
July 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
My apologies :)

Pop3 and IMAP email

Sealbhach
July 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Thunderbird has its own mail notifier.

razorboy5
July 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
i'm using this modified Conky

http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/09/27/gmail-weather-beauty-right-on-your-ubuntu-desktop/

never tried anything else so not sure if it's efficient but it looks super cool
also it monitors your computer

sefs
July 23rd, 2009, 08:04 PM

Can you elaborate?

sefs
July 23rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
i'm using this modified Conky

http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/09/27/gmail-weather-beauty-right-on-your-ubuntu-desktop/

never tried anything else so not sure if it's efficient but it looks super cool
also it monitors your computer

With this method it seems as if you have to place your password in plain text in the conky file.

oldsoundguy
July 23rd, 2009, 08:27 PM

It just FLASHES .. does not remain in the bar (and if you choose, you can have an audible also .. that is provided your SOUND works!). And the program has to be OPEN and in the bar already. Think the OP was looking for something a little more substantial.

Sealbhach
July 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
It just FLASHES .. does not remain in the bar (and if you choose, you can have an audible also .. that is provided your SOUND works!). And the program has to be OPEN and in the bar already. Think the OP was looking for something a little more substantial.

OIC, yeah, Thunderbird just flashes up a message and you need to have it open.

tgalati4
July 24th, 2009, 12:35 AM
You could write a script to flash your keyboard lights. With a little more effort, they could flash the mail headers in morse code.

How about a zenity script?

sefs
July 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM
You could write a script to flash your keyboard lights. With a little more effort, they could flash the mail headers in morse code.

How about a zenity script?

Can zenity do modulation/de-moudulation by somehow reversing the polarity of the computer power supply. If that is possible I could probably hack up a script that can open a wormhole where ever I am and pull the mail thru it.

ugm6hr
July 24th, 2009, 05:14 AM
OIC, yeah, Thunderbird just flashes up a message and you need to have it open.

Apologies - I haven't used it, but lots of people recommend Alltray as a solution to this issue.

I traditionally used mail-notify, but you obviously don't like it.

Now, I use XFCE, and just swapped the space-inefficient Task List for an Icon Box on my panel, which gives all running applications a System Tray feel. Gnome has something similar-ish. This allows me to just leave my mail app (SpiceBird) open all the time as if in the Tray, and receive notifications (albeit not with the new notification system).

AllTray actually allows you to minimize apps to the tray itself. Hence, your mail app would minimize off your desktop to be hidden in the tray. Nice solution, given RAM usage is rarely an issue with modern computing.

Sealbhach
July 24th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Can zenity do modulation/de-moudulation by somehow reversing the polarity of the computer power supply. If that is possible I could probably hack up a script that can open a wormhole where ever I am and pull the mail thru it.

A wormhole script would be nice but you would need to create a GUI for it using Visual Basic.

sefs
July 24th, 2009, 01:53 PM
A wormhole script would be nice but you would need to create a GUI for it using Visual Basic.

Hmmm...am a bit more agile in Foxpro.

sefs
July 24th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Apologies - I haven't used it, but lots of people recommend Alltray as a solution to this issue.

I traditionally used mail-notify, but you obviously don't like it.

Now, I use XFCE, and just swapped the space-inefficient Task List for an Icon Box on my panel, which gives all running applications a System Tray feel. Gnome has something similar-ish. This allows me to just leave my mail app (SpiceBird) open all the time as if in the Tray, and receive notifications (albeit not with the new notification system).

AllTray actually allows you to minimize apps to the tray itself. Hence, your mail app would minimize off your desktop to be hidden in the tray. Nice solution, given RAM usage is rarely an issue with modern computing.

I was using the alltray + new mail icon TB extension ... but as of TB3 the new mail icon is no longer fuctional until they update it. I like mail notification now I have installed it and been using it for a day ... It's what I will use as I found a tutorial to compile it for use with ssl. And I don't have to have TB open at all this way, which I like.

The only thing is that no mail icon...the brown tray with the arrow. Its not a nice looking thing. Is there a way to change it? I've looked at the directories and the src but I can't find that at all.