PDA

View Full Version : Software that U want Ported to Ubuntu/Linux.

shodai100
July 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
What software do you want to be ported to Linux/Ubuntu?

Tibuda
July 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I would not use any of your options, but I voted them all because I got tired of people complaining about them.

shodai100
July 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I want iTunes, because there is no perfect iTunes Substitute. Nothing can sync with the iPod Perfectly...

avacomputers
July 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
ITUNES and Blackberry Desktop Manager.

ELD
July 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
I voted other - Digsby -> http://www.digsby.com

Which they plan to do :D

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
i voted for other but kind of changed my mind a minute later - any application that can be ported to linux Should be ported to linux.
having more applications would not make the linux world less true to its goal, even though having them open source would be even better - in order to avoid letting closed source become the standard for linux

Also, on the Other part,i would Really like to see some Line6 software working around here :) i know there have been some attempts to port them to linux, but its not official and not supported by line6, at least yet

ahmatti
Matchcad and Coreldraw

cb951303
solidworks

shodai100
July 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
i voted for other but kind of changed my mind a minute later - any application that can be ported to linux Should be ported to linux.
having more applications would not make the linux world less true to its goal, even though having them open source would be even better - in order to avoid letting closed source become the standard for linux

Also, on the Other part,i would Really like to see some Line6 software working around here :) i know there have been some attempts to port them to linux, but its not official and not supported by line6, at least yet

So true!!

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
I voted other - Digsby -> http://www.digsby.com

Which they plan to do :D

seems really nice :) i want that ported as well as soon as possible :)
heh :popcorn:

So true!!

thank you

ELD
July 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
seems really nice :) i want that ported as well as soon as possible :)
heh :popcorn:

I use it under Win XP atm, it is a really nice app!

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
I use it under Win XP atm, it is a really nice app!

i just got it in wine, let's see what it can do :)

shodai100
July 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
wine doesnt seem to work with many of the windows programs, especially dos. I checked and found that wine is actually meant for windows 98. *sad* outdated!:(

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
totally untrue. wine can run most of windows software. of the one mentioned above, both the IM app i just installed and Photoshop run in wine

i have also played games , made fonts etc etc through wine. almost everything can work there - but not always perfectly

shodai100
July 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
ya some might work, but for instance itunes can not install, programs cant access the internet..... so on.

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
if you mean that no program can access the internet, you are wrong, as i used to have windows live messenger on wine, and i could talk without problems

anyway, let's not get too offtopic here , there are many wine threads out there (or new ones waiting to be created) if we want to discuss about wine

On topic once again : i would like to see a nice webcam app in linux as well, webcammax for example.

Arthur_D
July 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
programs cant access the internet..... so on.
Ehh, ever tried Spotify? It's using my net connection just fine, without twiddling.

days_of_ruin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
I voted for all options, the more software ported to linux the better.

ELD
July 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
I voted for all options, the more software ported to linux the better.

Not really, i wouldn't want all the crapware you can find ported, only useful apps people would actually use.

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Not really, i wouldn't want all the crapware you can find ported, only useful apps people would actually use.

a wise man of these forums once said that opensource i the power to make incredibly cool but useless apps (among others , of course)
and , by checking the repos, there are many crappy software that noone uses, so it's ok
let people port whatever they can port - and if possible do it in ways that respect the Freedoms

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
The Adobe Master Collection (CS3 and up) and the MagicJack.

linuxguymarshall
July 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
Nokia Desktop Suite. Makes managing things much easier (not that they were hard to do in the first place).

shodai100
July 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM
bump

y-lee
July 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I voted other, Autocad and IMVU client.

lisati
July 24th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Wouldn't mind some video editing software with transitions etc. I spotted a thread yesterday that some of the recent work on pitivi seems promising.

slightly off-topic success story: used "k9copy assistant" yesterday for the first time to make a backup of a DVD for someone else that DVDshrink and some of the other software I have seemed to be having trouble with...read errors and the like.

SuperSonic4
July 24th, 2009, 08:41 PM
An MSN client that takes advantage of WLM's faster transfers

shodai100
July 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM
bump

ztmike
July 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I want Steam (Valve) to start supporting Linux, direct Internet downloads to a Linux machine and the ability to play any game they support?

Hell yes!

http://store.steampowered.com/

I think when a company does this..Linux will literally have a explosion of new users. And the Steam platform is the BEST way to kick this off with.

Methuselah
July 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Everything I need is already available in some open source program.
I do not listen to DRM music that I never really own.

bob-linux-user
July 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Teamviewer. I know there are other ways of doing what it does in Linux but Teamviewer is very easy to use.

BBC Basic for Windows. Or at least Wine fixed so that it works properly with regard to screen refreshing and the mouse.

Izarc-one of the most versatile file compression programs there is

An OCR program that works. I am yet to find a good OCR program in Linux. Simple OCR runs ok in Wine

The (full) Adobe Acrobat (doesn't seem likely it will be ported to Linux)

A magnifier that works with a mouse. They work very well on, ( I hate to say it) Microsoft Mice.

shodai100
July 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM
bump

SuperSonic4
July 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Stop bumping, it's not big and it's not clever

chriskin
July 24th, 2009, 10:11 PM
vodafone's (and any other internet provider's :P) 3g internet related applications
they are kind of cool, even if they are useless :P

stinger30au
July 24th, 2009, 11:40 PM
id like to see willow creek backup ported to linux

http://www.willowsoft.com/backup/index.html

Warpnow
July 24th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Avid, Adobe Premiere, or Final Cut Pro.

scaine
July 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM
A magnifier that works with a mouse. They work very well on, ( I hate to say it) Microsoft Mice.

Can you not use Compiz's zoom effect for that? What kind of magnifier do you need?

oldsoundguy
July 25th, 2009, 12:06 AM
You can wish and wish all you want, but the software writers that are still the total MS junkies will not take the time or effort to port to Linux. NO MONEY IN IT!

ESPECIALLY anything that comes from another OS creator .. IE iTunes .. from Apple. Do you think they would EVER port to Linux?

Now Adobe and some other third party sources (especially those that already port to MAC) WILL port .. once the work is justified by the potential income.

Since Google's new system will be Linux kernel .. guess what? ONCE that hits the open market, a lot of heretofore MS only or MS & MAC stuff WILL get ported.

BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. It will not be open source or restricted but free, it will not be in the repositories, you will have to acquire the software just as you do for Windows ... BUY IT!! And you will, once again, have to rely on help OUTSIDE of the Linux community if you purchase their software.

reyfer
July 25th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I don't have an iPod, so I don't really need iTunes

For Quickbooks, my company is implementing PostBooks http://www.xtuple.com/postbooks

For Photoshop, I use GIMP and even though some may say it doesn't have all the PS stuff, it covers absolutely everything I need both in my personal and professional life (paired with Xara Xtreme, it is great)

So I chose other, because right now what I would like is Blackberry's Desktop Manager for my Bold :)

Arthur_D
July 25th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I would love to have Settlers III, Cubase Studio and Guitar Pro ported, though it's probably never going to happen. :(

windows-killer
July 25th, 2009, 03:32 AM

its your option to install that crap, if you dont want it dont install it. simple

windows-killer
July 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM
a wise man of these forums once said that opensource i the power to make incredibly cool but useless apps (among others , of course)
and , by checking the repos, there are many crappy software that noone uses, so it's ok
let people port whatever they can port - and if possible do it in ways that respect the Freedoms

freedom- relax they wont come and drag you to jail:D

windows-killer
July 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM
You can wish and wish all you want, but the software writers that are still the total MS junkies will not take the time or effort to port to Linux. NO MONEY IN IT!

ESPECIALLY anything that comes from another OS creator .. IE iTunes .. from Apple. Do you think they would EVER port to Linux?

Now Adobe and some other third party sources (especially those that already port to MAC) WILL port .. once the work is justified by the potential income.

Since Google's new system will be Linux kernel .. guess what? ONCE that hits the open market, a lot of heretofore MS only or MS & MAC stuff WILL get ported.

BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. It will not be open source or restricted but free, it will not be in the repositories, you will have to acquire the software just as you do for Windows ... BUY IT!! And you will, once again, have to rely on help OUTSIDE of the Linux community if you purchase their software.

they dont port their software because they dont know the exact number of Linux users out there plus everyone of you begs them to open source their app, so it scares them away

SuperSonic4
July 25th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Proper Flash for Linux will improve the number of users so that's good. It may have also escaped your attention that some programs are free as in beer - you mention iTunes: by making it freeware they will be recouping very little, if any, of the cost of developing it - rather they make their money off the iTunes Store and from their hardware devices.

Making a program open source would also decrease costs as well as taking a knock in profits. What you fail to mention is the relatively high number of people on here and in the wider community who will donate to good open source projects (I will be donating to the KDE project when I get paid). Some stuff you will have the option to pay for but you can always choose not to. I also think you underestimate the Linux community - how many threads have you seen where users have been able to get non-free software/devices working?

kdetech
July 25th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I voted other. I want FDM www.freedownloadmanager.org
I really think linux lacks a good download manager with integrated scheduler. Login and everything

3pinner
July 25th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Open Project please

bob-linux-user
July 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
@scaine-Thanks for the info. I will investigate. I was trying to persuade my Father to convert to Ubuntu. One of the things he likes about Windows (he is partially sighted by the way) and feels he can't do without is his mouse which is the MS wireless Laser Mouse 5000 . You can set one of the two buttons on the side to put a magnifying window up around the mouse pointer. Even if you don't like MS ( and I don't particularly) you have to admit it is pretty good.In Ubuntu,can you reprogram the mouse buttons on the MS laser mouse 5000 and get compiz to do that?

RPG Master
July 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM
The only closed-source software I desire is Lightroom...

scaine
July 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
@scaine-Thanks for the info. I will investigate. I was trying to persuade my Father to convert to Ubuntu. One of the things he likes about Windows (he is partially sighted by the way) and feels he can't do without is his mouse which is the MS wireless Laser Mouse 5000 . You can set one of the two buttons on the side to put a magnifying window up around the mouse pointer. Even if you don't like MS ( and I don't particularly) you have to admit it is pretty good.In Ubuntu,can you reprogram the mouse buttons on the MS laser mouse 5000 and get compiz to do that?

Yep, the zoom in/out buttons can be fully reconfigured to whatever buttons you like (button 1 is left, 2 is middle, 3 is right, four is scrollwheel up, five is scrollwheel down - don't know if don't know if the MS 5000 supports more...). There is also a cool "Magnifier" compiz effect that creates a box around the mouse pointer with a zoom effect which follows the mouse around.

It really all depends on whether the PC this will be running on will support Compiz effects. I should also point out that the GM4500 driver in my Toshiba U-400 does not handle the magnifier effect very well, causing lots of distortion. The zoom effect, however, is perfect and very smooth.

Hope it goes well.

yage
July 25th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I would like to see a gui spotify version for Linux :popcorn:

windows-killer
July 26th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I would like to see

windows live messenger
New version of skype
Adobe premier
iTunes
Adobe photoshop

Matthewthegreat
July 26th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I would like to see itunes and a video editor (like Sony Vegas) ported to linux.

markharding557
July 27th, 2009, 12:52 AM
i would most certainly not like itunes on linux villainous rubbish

doas777
July 27th, 2009, 12:59 AM
speedfan
process explorer

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 02:44 AM
i would most certainly not like itunes on linux villainous rubbish

The how will I sync my iPod touch?
I dont want any useless emulators running on my pc! I want a native software that syncs music on my ipod touch.
All music management in ubuntu are useless and they barely accomplish basic tasks. you might re-consider your thoughts there buddy!

scaine
July 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
The how will I sync my iPod touch?
I dont want any useless emulators running on my pc! I want a native software that syncs music on my ipod touch.
All music management in ubuntu are useless and they barely accomplish basic tasks. you might re-consider your thoughts there buddy!

:) I think the idea is to not buy a Touch in the first place. But yep, if you have a Touch, then you'd better start hoping for that iTunes port, cos nothing on linux will touch it. Maybe someday.