PDA

View Full Version : Should we form an International Linux Summit?

keiichidono
July 23rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
This guy thinks so - It’s Time for an International Linux Summit (http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry4544.html)
and I agree with this guy like syrup on pancakes, we need an ILS. Why? Linux is too fragmented (I’ll get to that in another post) and currently has no goals. Those pitiful KDE and Gnome developer conferences don’t actually do anything important and it’s small. ILS should be as widely recognized as Apple’s tech shows, E3, and other geeky meet-ups. Get recognition for Linux (in the news) and plan the future of Linux in the same breath. What’s not to like? But how are we going to get this put in place is going to be the issue. Any ideas?

praveesh
July 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
What we need is a standard like a standard file heirarchy , a standard binary installer etc.

starcannon
July 23rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
An international meeting of the minds would be great; it would be a great step towards some much needed standards as mentioned in the previous post. I had assumed conventions of this nature already existed; sadly I must be mistaken?

keiichidono
July 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
An international meeting of the minds would be great; it would be a great step towards some much needed standards as mentioned in the previous post. I had assumed conventions of this nature already existed; sadly I must be mistaken?

Yes, you are mistaken. But this can be fixed....somehow.

starcannon
July 23rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Yes, you are mistaken. But this can be fixed....somehow.
Somehow is really going to equate to $$$; where ever on planet earth this meeting takes place, everyone not from there will have to travel and stay there, travel and lodging costs $$$. It's a great idea, one that probably has already been considered, but it is also an idea that has a very monetary factor that is often times difficult all by itself to overcome. Add in additional problems of schedules, remember coders have jobs and lives to, and the logistics become a virtual nightmare. We need a benefactor(to pay expenses), a panel to determine who needs to be there on the benefactors dime, translators, and the gods only know what else that would be required to set something this complex up.

Johnsie
July 23rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
A Linux GUI/Multimedia summit

Sealbhach
July 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Well there's lots of big megacorporations with a stake in Linux now e.g. Intel, IBM, Microsoft, Google, Novell, Red Hat who could sponsor an event - but the scope is huge... would it be about the kernel, or about userspace applications, desktop or server, home user or business...? Not sure what could be achieved apart from arguments.

Mornedhel
July 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
You guys are aware that there already are large conventions on Linux, right ?

For instance, FOSDEM. There probably is a US equivalent somewhere, but most large FOSS conventions are here in Europe. (Neener neener.)

You can take a look at a list of Linux conventions here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_conferences

23meg
July 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Yes, you are mistaken.

Not really:

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit

keiichidono
July 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
Not really:

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit

Well the problem with that is that they aren't unifying Linux, they're just having a conversation. They need to change and update their agenda. =\

MikeTheC
July 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
What we really need is some Boddington's.

Failing that, I'll settle for some Chicken Wellington.

Dismissed.

azangru
July 23rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Somehow is really going to equate to $$$; where ever on planet earth this meeting takes place, everyone not from there will have to travel and stay there, travel and lodging costs $$$.

I know my question must be stupid, but... can't it all be done online. Not like the IRC, of course, but through videoconferencing, webcasting, stuff like that. Isn't it prime time to put telecommunications to use? :)

keiichidono
July 23rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
I know my question must be stupid, but... can't it all be done online. Not like the IRC, of course, but through videoconferencing, webcasting, stuff like that. Isn't it prime time to put telecommunications to use? :)

:shock: Wow that was such a simple yet unexpected answer!!! This is the second thing to shock me today, I need to get you to contribute a post to my blog with your idea, and I'll see who I can get in touch with to spread this great idea. =D>

Mornedhel
July 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
:shock: Wow that was such a simple yet unexpected answer!!! This is the second thing to shock me today, I need to get you to contribute a post to my blog with your idea, and I'll see who I can get in touch with to spread this great idea. =D>

Great idea, yeah. Now you just need to get a community that's spread on all 24+ time zones to be online at the same time.

keiichidono
July 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Great idea, yeah. Now you just need to get a community that's spread on all 24+ time zones to be online at the same time.

That's what schedules are for?

Mornedhel
July 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
That's what schedules are for?

Look, video-conferencing is fine for up to a half-dozen people. Any more and it's unmanageable.

The larger FOSS conferences have hundreds of attenders, among whom maybe 15-30 speakers. Live videos are also streamed. Those live videos are really boring, by the way : you get the feeling that half of the time is just waiting for another speaker. When attending in person, the wait seems shorter, and you can actually do something else -- talk to people, visit booths, etc.

You're proposing that 15-30 speakers, already in different time zones, coordinate for a loooong marathon of video broadcasting. It has to be longer than a few hours, otherwise very few people get to watch it live. And if you don't watch it live, then it's not really a conference anymore, is it ?

When attending an actual conference, sitting in an actual room, the atmosphere is half the fun, or else you'd just be reading the guy's blog at home and be done with it. And getting every spectator to move there ensures that everybody is present at the same time.

Plus you can hand out stickers, tshirts, and free CDs.

azangru
July 23rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
You're proposing that 15-30 speakers, already in different time zones, coordinate for a loooong marathon of video broadcasting. It has to be longer than a few hours, otherwise very few people get to watch it live.

It doesn't have to be this way. Gathering together in one place is partly why you have to listen to a dozen of people speak all in one day. If the event is decentralized and speakers are spread all over the globe, nothing prevents a conference to morph into a very different format.

Imagine: one or two pre-scheduled talks on a certain day, the topic being announced beforehand. A specially designed web site dedicated to the conference. Those with special interest in the announced topics can send their questions prior to the talk so that the speaker can address them if he chooses. After a talk, if it is live and supervised by a moderator, there may be some time for questions and answers in real time. Alternatively, questions may be sent after the talk so that they will be addressed the next day.

The talk could thus be viewed both live and in recording, while the opportunity to interact with the speaker is retained.

I mean, well, this scheme is not perfect, but it is feasible (google for webinars and see for yourself), and if this sort of thing could ever happen, it could transform conferencing as we know it into an ongoing educational and social event.

ADDED: to get a taste of what I'm talking about, see the interview with Mark Shuttleworth (http://ubuntupodcast.net/2009/04/14/ubuntu-podcast-episode-24-mark-shuttleworth/) at Ubuntu Podcasts.

keiichidono
July 24th, 2009, 12:43 AM
It doesn't have to be this way. Gathering together in one place is partly why you have to listen to a dozen of people speak all in one day. If the event is decentralized and speakers are spread all over the globe, nothing prevents a conference to morph into a very different format.

Imagine: one or two pre-scheduled talks on a certain day, the topic being announced beforehand. A specially designed web site dedicated to the conference. Those with special interest in the announced topics can send their questions prior to the talk so that the speaker can address them if he chooses. After a talk, if it is live and supervised by a moderator, there may be some time for questions and answers in real time. Alternatively, questions may be sent after the talk so that they will be addressed the next day.

The talk could thus be viewed both live and in recording, while the opportunity to interact with the speaker is retained.

I mean, well, this scheme is not perfect, but it is feasible (google for webinars and see for yourself), and if this sort of thing could ever happen, it could transform conferencing as we know it into an ongoing educational and social event.

ADDED: to get a taste of what I'm talking about, see the interview with Mark Shuttleworth (http://ubuntupodcast.net/2009/04/14/ubuntu-podcast-episode-24-mark-shuttleworth/) at Ubuntu Podcasts.

That's an even greater idea that the other idea that I thought was great! Have live viewing/Q&A for people not there, and organize that only very important people go to the summit to be asked questions and discuss things in person. :D

Shpongle
July 24th, 2009, 01:31 AM
yea and not everyone in each group would have to attend , the groups could choose representatives to go on their behalf and ask questions which they drew up already in response to the pre defined topic/s,

keiichidono
July 24th, 2009, 02:20 AM
yea and not everyone in each group would have to attend , the groups could choose representatives to go on their behalf and ask questions which they drew up already in response to the pre defined topic/s,

That way, they don't go there asking what they should talk about. They go there talking about what we want talked about. :D

keiichidono
July 24th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on how we can get this to the attention of the big wigs who can actually bring something like this together. Nothing's gonna happen if this thread just fades out of existence and nothing happens!

azangru
July 24th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on how we can get this to the attention of the big wigs who can actually bring something like this together. Nothing's gonna happen if this thread just fades out of existence and nothing happens!

Perhaps write a well-argued article and send it to Linux.com (http://www.linux.com/tour) in hope it will get someone's attention? :)