PDA

View Full Version : help with PHP

nitro_n2o
July 23rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Hello all,

I'm trying to do something simple with PHP, but not having any luck for a while, hope someone could help.

Here is the scenario,

I wanna have a form with a text field for users to enter information and a submit button.

When the user clicks on the submit button, I take the data then display the html form again & wait for more data.

How can I do that?

Thanks a lot

masux594
July 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Hi nitro_n2o.. Well, this "exercize" is very simple.. So, u have 2 pages, one where the user fill the form, and the second where u display the previous memo field and add more fields.. Only a question, do u want that the memo field of displayed form were editable?

Sysc, A

nitro_n2o
July 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hey masux

thx for the reply, I just need to redisplay the same form, get more info and process it again. The form is something like this

<form action=<?$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] method="post">
Name:<input type="text" name="fname"><br/>
<input type="submit" value="next">
</form>

The user will click submit, I'll take input from $_POST['fname'], then the page shows up again and the process repeated

thx

masux594
July 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Your code:

</form>
Well.. First of all i'll use $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] instead of $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']..(Looking at this example (http://php.about.com/od/learnphp/qt/_SERVER_PHP.htm)).. in second place, you must write the variable using echo function.. and third, if u want to do what you say before u can use only a php page like this

Mine code:

<?php
# a function that i use very often
function IIF($aCond, $aTrue, $aFalse=''){
IF ($aCond) {
return $aTrue
}
else {
return $aFalse;
}
}

# if the variable were sended to this page, then means that this is the second page
# and you'll link to another [Ex: page_3.php]
# else, means that this is the first page and then u will link to the same page[the secod]
echo "<form action='".IIF(isset($_POST['fname']),'page_3.php',$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."' method='post'>".
"Name:<input type='text' name='fname' value='".IIF(isset($_POST['fname']),'$_POST['fname'])')."'/><br/>".
"<input type="submit" value="next"/>".
IIF(
isset($_POST['fname']),
# all others input of the second page
'input input etc'
).
"</form>";
?>
Say to me if there's some mistakes.. in this moment i can't try directly the code..

Sysc, A

Mirge
July 23rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Your code:

</form>
Well.. First of all i'll use $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] instead of $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']..(Looking at this example (http://php.about.com/od/learnphp/qt/_SERVER_PHP.htm)).. in second place, you must write the variable using echo function.. and third, if u want to do what you say before u can use only a php page like this

Mine code:

<?php
IF ($aCond) {
return $aTrue
}
else {
return $aFalse;
}
}

# if the variable were sended to this page, then means that this is the second page
# else, means that this is the first page and then u will link to the same page[the secod]
echo "<form action='".IIF(isset($_POST['fname']),'page_3.php',$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."' method='post'>".
"Name:<input type='text' name='fname' value='".IIF(isset($_POST['fname']),'$_POST['fname'])')."'/><br/>".
"<input type="submit" value="next"/>".
IIF(
isset($_POST['fname']),
'input input etc'
).
"</form>";
?>
Say to me if there's some mistakes.. in this moment i can't try directly the code..

Sysc, A

I certainly mean no offense, but please don't join me on any projects...

masux594
July 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
I certainly mean no offense, but please don't join me on any projects...
Why =) ?

P.s. It's only a simple "exercize".. if i do a great project the code will be certainly more similar to a "module" developing..

Sysc, A

wojox
July 23rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
<form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method="POST">

Mirge
July 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Why =) ?

P.s. It's only a simple "exercize".. if i do a great project the code will be certainly more similar to a "module" developing..

Sysc, A

Why write a function as a "wrapper" for a basic if/else? Readability is out the window too in the above example. A heredoc would have been a better choice. Overall it just seems very sloppy.

masux594
July 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
I don't use the IIF function only for concate strings.. Also for .. pass different parameters to a method for instance.. And, as i say before, this is a quick example, not an entire project.. and now that i read the code there's something wrong[quoting]..

<?php
IF ($aCond) {
return $aTrue
}
else {
return $aFalse;
}
}

"<input type='submit' value='next'/>";
IF (isset($_POST['fname'])) {
echo 'input input etc';
}
echo "</form>";
?>
However, [only for check your another approach] can u post some changes for my code? Thx in advance!

Sysc, A

Mirge
July 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hey masux

thx for the reply, I just need to redisplay the same form, get more info and process it again. The form is something like this

</form>

The user will click submit, I'll take input from $_POST['fname'], then the page shows up again and the process repeated

thx

Assuming the form took 3 fields, firstName, lastName, age.. as an example:

<?php
$firstName = $_POST['firstName'];
$lastName = $_POST['lastName'];
$age = $_POST['age'];

if(strlen($firstName) > 0 && strlen($lastName) > 0 && strlen($age) > 0) {
// Form was filled out. Perform validation here. Do something with data assuming it checks out.
}
?>

<form action="<?=$_SERVER[SCRIPT_NAME];?>" method="post">
First Name: <input type="text" name="firstName" value=""/><br/>
Last Name: <input type="text" name="lastName" value=""/><br/>
<input type="submit" value="Submit"/>
</form>
Or if you wanted the form pre-populated with the data already processed..

<form action="<?=$_SERVER[SCRIPT_NAME];?>" method="post">
First Name: <input type="text" name="firstName" value="<?=$firstName;?>"/><br/>
Last Name: <input type="text" name="lastName" value="<?=$lastName;?>"/><br/>
Age: <input type="text" name="age" value="<?=$age;?>"/><br/>
<input type="submit" value="Submit"/>
</form>

akvino
July 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Mirge - thanks for this example - very good stuff.... I am breathing it inn.

And to the starter of the thread - if you need to process your second request based on first form's input - the best way to do it is with $_SESSION superglobal. I am PHP / Web programming newbie as well and have spent hours trying to make functions call one another with preserved variables between the sessions. Every time I tried to pass the first variable, due to the nature of the web (statless), I lost input. Once I figured out to collect data in to $_SESSION superglobal - the rest was easy.