PDA

View Full Version : What other Ubuntu-like things do you support?

Mithradates
July 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
By "Ubuntu-like" I mean something that is still in the minority and facing a pretty formidable opposition, but would be great if it could become more prominent than it is today.

Sometimes new ideas do end up attaining a majority, like the metric system.

Mine are: IALs (international auxiliary languages), languages constructed to be easier to learn than "natural" languages. Ido, Interlingua, Occidental etc. are some examples.

The Dvorak keyboard. I've been using it exclusively since 2006 or so and have never looked back.

Firefox has reached quite a bit of prominence but here in Korea most sites are still optimized for IE, so I still want to see it grow even more.

rkirk
July 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
I suppose I could list a few things I would love to see in the world:
Widespread adoption of ogg vorbis for music|audio distribution rather than proprietary formats such as mp3 or aac. More voluntary vegetarianism or partial (non-strict) vegetarianism (for ecologic, not "ethical" reasons). And, finally, a full-on, total, complete, and absolutely irreversible conversion to the metric system here in the US. (The world's foremost superpower, and we're still using the Imperial System of weights and measures... it's a real shame.)

automaton26
July 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'd also like to see the majority of devices support OGG.

And not using metric is bizarre - it's the 21st century. It's so much easier when everything is a factor of 10 instead of 12, 16 or whatever. And the same standard prefixes (centi- kilo- milli- etc.) apply across most domains.

Imagine if hard drives & memory were measured with an Imperial System - "Your app uses 0.291666 ShekelBytes...".

Tch.