PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot or display failure

Adrian0
July 23rd, 2009, 04:56 AM
I successfully installed Ubuntu Desktop 9.04 to my laptop (a Stamp, Pentium 4, 1.6KHz, plenty of RAM). It has worked fine, setting up, upgrading and new installlations all OK. However, occasionally, I've had to reinstall because a re-boot fails.

The process gets to the point of displaying the desktop and instead, gives me a swirling, graphic mist for a few seconds, then a blank screen. I've tried ALL the options at Setup (Esc), incl the recovery modes and 'Try to repair graphics' - none work for me.

Is this a hardware incompatibility problem (never had it with Windows) or driver issue? How can I fix it? Help please!

Adrian0

philcamlin
July 23rd, 2009, 04:57 AM
what graphics card do you have?

Adrian0
July 23rd, 2009, 06:28 AM

Hi, how's Thunder Bay ( - was in hospital there in '69)?

This, Stamp laptop appears not to have a graphics card, but is onboard, Intel(?). Only relevant spec I have is:

"STAMP P14N
CPU Mobile Intel Pentium 4 - M Processor
DISPLAY 14.1" TFT XGA Active Matrix TFT Display (1024 x 768)"

Adrian0
July 23rd, 2009, 06:41 AM

Hi, how's Thunder Bay ( - was in hospital there in 69)? Thanks for your response.

This Stamp laptop appears not to have a separate graphics card; must be built in to the m-board. Stamp website Spec says:

"STAMP P14N
CPU Mobile Intel Pentium 4 - M Processor
DISPLAY 14.1" TFT XGA Active Matrix TFT Display (1024 x 768), etc"

However, from another source, same model, I've got "S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR".

Adrian0
July 27th, 2009, 09:33 PM
philcamlin,

you were good enough to respond to my earlier post, since when I gave some info re the video card. I've confirmed now that it is: "VGA compatible controller, VT8375 (ProSavage8 KM266/KL266)".

While I'd like to know more, FYI I have now upgraded to the 9.10 Alpha version - which appears to have resolved it. Thanks again.