PDA

View Full Version : Theme music

welsh_spud
January 26th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I was over my friends house the other day when his new Mac mini arrived. Pretty impressive little thing. When he turned it on for the first time, it played an introduction movie saying welcome in lots of languages

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4112467418076353389&q=os+x

does anyone know the name of the song played in that video?

Also, don't you think it would be cool if Ubuntu had a Welcome video like that? I'm sure we could beat Apple in translations :D !

TechSonic
January 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I couldn't hear the sound, but the video played smooth.
Probably because I only have Flash Player 7 and it's too bad Flash Player 8 hasn't been released for Linux. I've had many flash videos that were made for the 8 version and couldn't watch them as they are suppose to be seen.

briancurtin
January 26th, 2006, 09:56 PM
the SuSE bootup screen shows "welcome" in a bunch of different languages, but doesnt play them sound-wise

note: i think it says "welcome" but it could be something else along those lines. i havent used SuSE in a month or so

public_void
January 27th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I think, I might by wrong, but the artist is Moby. I haven't clue as to the title. Problem is he's done lots of songs, so it could be hard finding the right one.

ice60
January 27th, 2006, 01:27 AM
i've got it somewhere, but i can't remember who it's by lol. i'll go and wash the dishes and think about it. :shock: it's not Moby

maruchan
January 27th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Also, don't you think it would be cool if Ubuntu had a Welcome video like that?

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but this should be pretty easy to do:

The video:
-Sound: I'd look on archive.org for music that is under a permissive license. There is a lot of good electronic-style stuff in all genres from different netlabels there. One music example I can see in such a video would be a clip from "Goût DŽAir" by Supine: http://www.archive.org/details/mia027

-Animation: Should be pretty easy with a combination of, say, Blender and Cinelerra for example. Blender supports unicode text now, so the Chinese/Japanese fonts would be doable too.

As for the application itself, I'm sure some creative dev could come up with a plan. Full screen video isn't anything we haven't seen before in games and such right?

So I'd guess that an enterprising team of volunteers could have a very worthy Apple intro video competitor done in about 2-3 weeks. Plenty of time to get that into Dapper, right? :)

Edit: Maybe it's worth mentioning the KDE animation done by Basse, a Blender user:

http://www.kde.org/stuff/clipart/konqi-magical-rope-video-720x576-divx.avi

xequence
January 27th, 2006, 02:36 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5956893264614130647&q=OSX

Another cool one =)

kimvall
February 3rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
I think it's called "Little Fluffy Clouds" and not it's Moby, UK Techno act The Orb. It's been used in several other ads over the years (the track consists of several parts, all sounding very different). I also recall a video where everything is done backwards (people jumping, running and also the trademark clouds).

Long answer... But I'm a bit of a music nerd.

mcduck
February 3rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
I think the song is Eple, by Röyksopp. Or at least some remix of that.

edit: yes, I was right. From Wikipedia: 'The song "Eple" was licensed by Apple Computer for use as the startup music to the company's Mac OS X Panther operating system, playing the first time a user booted a new Mac. Eple (pronounced Ep-le, rather than Ep-pull as thought by many) means "apple" in Norwegian. Röyksopp's first single "So Easy" became popular in the UK after it was used in a T-Mobile advert.'

Edit2: Techsonic: I actually watched that video on Breezy with flash7, and the sound worked fine.

Virogenesis
February 3rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
a intro movie is a great idea but what video codec are we able to use we'd need to use something opensource that kde movie wasn't bad at all but yeah i do like what apple have done

welsh_spud
February 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the name of the song MCduck!