PDA

View Full Version : "Allmyapps"... Did you try it?

Ric_NYC
July 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
I tried it yesterday. I installed Google Talk and Digikam just to see how it works.
I think it is very useful.
Should it be adopted as an official way to install software in Ubuntu?

Take a look:

http://allmyapps.com/

HappyFeet
July 23rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
I thinks it's a bad idea for people to get used to using the net to install apps. Someone will eventually have a site that will install malware on people's pc's. I think getdeb.net is enough for now.

frup
July 23rd, 2009, 02:22 AM
GetDeb uses their own packages.

Doesn't Allmyapps use the Ubuntu repos and apturl?

That means Allmyapps is safer and GetDeb follows the argument you make.

voteforpedro36
July 23rd, 2009, 02:28 AM
No, I didn't actually.

Ric_NYC
July 23rd, 2009, 02:28 AM

Doesn't Allmyapps use the Ubuntu repos and apturl?

That means Allmyapps is safer and GetDeb follows the argument you make.

That's what they say:

The installation process is completely secure. is installed through the official Ubuntu packaging system, from the official secured repositories. ... (Allmyapps).

Eviltechie
July 23rd, 2009, 03:28 AM
I could just create a simple js popup that looks like the apt installer dialogue. It would be difficult to tell the difference.

sdlynx
July 23rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
I figure I'll just stick with SPM if it just uses the repos. However, much better organization on that site than SPM.

CJ Master
July 23rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
I could just create a simple js popup that looks like the apt installer dialogue. It would be difficult to tell the difference.

Good luck getting root privileges.

Jimleko211
July 23rd, 2009, 06:27 AM
Good luck getting root privileges.
There just needs to be a window asking you for your password, claiming to by Synaptic. Simple trick for the new user.

CJ Master
July 23rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
There just needs to be a window asking you for your password, claiming to by Synaptic. Simple trick for the new user.

We're still talking about javascript here, right? :\

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
is there any reason why one should use a browser to find his apps when they are perfectly placed on synaptic?

CJ Master
July 23rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
is there any reason why one should use a browser to find his apps when they are perfectly placed on synaptic?

Un-userfriendly. And Add/remove assumes you know the application name in the first place.

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
not true

you just ask for chess for example and it gets you every variant with details etc etc.
it doesn't need to have chess in the name, just in the details.

isn't using a website more un-userfriendly?

CJ Master
July 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
not true

you just ask for chess for example and it gets you every variant with details etc etc.
it doesn't need to have chess in the name, just in the details.

isn't using a website more un-userfriendly?

Nope. Besides, you can make a list of your favorite apps and re-install them later, find the most downloaded apps, give the featured apps a try, etc.

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
the popularity contest is included in add/remove as well
the featured apps feature though might be worth the time - i'll go check it :)

edit : Oh, you meant the few ones at the starting page? it was a bit of a let-down :S

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Why must it be a either or, can we not have both?

lovinglinux
July 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
If you like allmyapps, then take a look at my new UMarks (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13153/) extension for Firefox:

Create, delete, backup and restore lists of installed/deinstalled Ubuntu packages and search for installed packages on allmyapps.com, appnr.com, getdeb.net, packages.ubuntu.com, launchpad.net, linuxappfinder.com and Google.

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
it is not implied that the other way should be canceled, is it?

sdlynx
July 23rd, 2009, 07:20 AM
yes, the list thing seems like a great idea for reinstallation

gn2
July 23rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
I think it is very useful.

I think it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, therefore useless.

Absolutely not.

the list thing seems like a great idea for reinstallation

AptOnCD, Remastersys?

lovinglinux
July 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I think it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, therefore useless.

I don't think it's useless. I think the best thing of allmyapps is the ability to batch install all software, using the "My List" feature. I know we can create a list with all installed/deinstalled applications with a simple command, but allmyapps provides a friendly interface for the novice to do that. You can install all your applications on any machine at any time, from anywhere with a few clicks. I don't think that would be considered useless. It's kind of saying that online url bookmarking services are useless, because Firefox makes backups of your bookmarks automatically.

I'm not a security expert, but I believe apt links are safe, aren't they? Yes, it could be possible to trick the user into entering his password on a dialog box, but you don't need allmyapps to do that. Take for example that scam that pop ups a dialog simulating the Windows Security Center. People fall for that all the time, even when they are using Ubuntu.

I don't think so, but the Add/Remove manager should provide an easy way of backing up your installed applications list and a way to batch install it. Don't tell me you can go to Synaptic and click "Save Markings as", because that feature doesn't work if the packages are already installed, which makes it useless and not very intuitive.

gn2
July 23rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
I don't think it's useless. I think the best thing of allmyapps is the ability to batch install all software, using the "My List" feature.

OK, I accept my labelling it useless was not very charitable, and it was wrong of me to do so.

A CD or DVD created by AptOnCD or Remastersys can do a batch install without having to download everything again.
That can be a major factor for many people who do not have internet access, or have slow access, or have download capacity limits.

I know we can create a list with all installed/deinstalled applications with a simple command, but allmyapps provides a friendly interface for the novice to do that.

AptOnCD and Remastersys also have simple friendly interfaces.

You can install all your applications on any machine at any time, from anywhere with a few clicks. I don't think that would be considered useless. It's kind of saying that online url bookmarking services are useless, because Firefox makes backups of your bookmarks automatically.

"any machine"..... connected to the internet
"from anywhere"..... with an internet connection.

Sometimes you just can't beat a CD and snail mail.
(it's partly why Ubuntu is so successful ;) )

Bookmarks are very different to applications/packages.
If I wanted access to a particular set of applications on a variety of computers in a variety of locations, I would simply take a remastered Live USB with me.

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
for those who want the "backup list for reinstall" thing, you should look here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=837655

as for the commands that i didn't post back then, i will get them now

here they are
sudo dpkg --set-selections < /tmp/dpkglist.txt
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

found at

http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techblog/article/restore_packages_using_dselectupgrade/

HappyFeet
July 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM

What do you mean their own? They are not getdeb's packages, they are the packages from the developers. And who's to say that a site like "allmyapps" can't install something malicious? If it's not sanctioned by canonical, anything can happen.

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
What do you mean their own? They are not getdeb's packages, they are the packages from the developers. And who's to say that a site like "allmyapps" can't install something malicious? If it's not sanctioned by canonical, anything can happen.

what he meant is that getdeb.net uses packages that are not in the repositories , usually more bleeding edge, while this site uses packages from the repositories

the way i see it, allmyapps just gives the command to install the app, same way that synaptic does. it just runs through a browser and has some easily findable yet not default in synaptic features

lovinglinux
July 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
for those who want the "backup list for reinstall" thing, you should look here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=837655

as for the commands that i didn't post back then, i will get them now

here they are
sudo dpkg --set-selections < /tmp/dpkglist.txt
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

found at

http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techblog/article/restore_packages_using_dselectupgrade/

Or you can use my UMarks (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1216679) firefox extension. It does exactly that and a few more things ;)

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
this might be too much of an add as you already mentioned it, but yes, it is worth it.
i didn't read all the text on your thread, are you the author of Umarks?

lovinglinux
July 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
i didn't read all the text on your thread, are you the author of Umarks?

Yes, but I have nothing to do with allmyapps.com :)

Here is the link to Mozilla extension page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13153/

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
i'll test it once i get back home :)

lovinglinux
July 23rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
i'll test it once i get back home :)

Comments and suggestions are very welcome ;)

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
hm? where did your signature go by the way?

i get this "Shiretoko could not install the file at

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/downloads/file/59713/umarks-0.0.3-fx-linux.xpi?confirmed?confirmed

because: Invalid file hash (possible download corruption)
-261"

i should use it in firefox 3 only eh?

tacantara
July 23rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
I went to the website, but my browser (FF 3.5.1) won't play nice with it. I tried to follow the instructions to get the browser/OS recognized, with no result.

I guess I'm sticking to Synaptic and Add/Remove Programs, and the websites that provide Linux apps (i.e. virtualbox.com).

The concept behind the website is good, though. Apparently there have been more people successfully downloading apps from there than those who can't.

lovinglinux
July 23rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
hm? where did your signature go by the way?

i get this "Shiretoko could not install the file at

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/downloads/file/59713/umarks-0.0.3-fx-linux.xpi?confirmed?confirmed

because: Invalid file hash (possible download corruption)
-261"

i should use it in firefox 3 only eh?

There is no signature of my own. I think Mozilla adds their signature to each uploaded file.The upload/download system already screwed the version 0.0.2 and now it seems version 0.0.3 has the same problem. Nevertheless, I just downloaded and installed from Mozilla to test and it worked. Maybe you could try again.

BTW, the extension is compatible with Firefox 3.0.x and 3.5.x

Tristam Green
July 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
I think it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist

Absolutely not.

AptOnCD, Remastersys?

I agree.

Honestly, the quick search in SPM isn't all that hard to use. I type the word "font" in and I get every font-related entry returned to me, and then some.

Seems like another unnecessary tool; fyi I'm not a fan of Add/Remove Programs in *buntu either.

chriskin
July 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
There is no signature of my own. I think Mozilla adds their signature to each uploaded file.The upload/download system already screwed the version 0.0.2 and now it seems version 0.0.3 has the same problem. Nevertheless, I just downloaded and installed from Mozilla to test and it worked. Maybe you could try again.

BTW, the extension is compatible with Firefox 3.0.x and 3.5.x

eh, by talking about signature i meant the one in these forums, i can't see it any more :)

i will get it to work tomorrow morning i hope, at least on ff3

thibs
August 7th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I went to the website, but my browser (FF 3.5.1) won't play nice with it. I tried to follow the instructions to get the browser/OS recognized, with no result.

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that we updated allmyapps today and you can now install apps even if you're using firefox 3.5. You may get a warning but hopefully it won't prevent you to install apps anymore!