PDA

View Full Version : Why I think Ubuntu is Secure

cooper77z
July 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
I could be wrong, as this is purely a conceptual reason, but there are so many emergings computer professionals learning and testing ubuntu that they would probably notice most security threats. Now, we must define what a security threat actually is, because traditional is "prove it's you" but modern is "I don't want them to know anything about me"

So, I will say ubuntu is really secure in both dimensions, but the "prove it's you" method is probably a better way to approach the internet.

Personally, I consider anything online to be public. But there are various levels of access to public information depending on the individual doing the investigation. Additionally, priviacy has deteriorated to such an extent in this modern Earth that the only sane way to go online is to assume you are a public personality in the internet medium.

One would think their creative work would be private, but in this day the FBI can come into your house and steal your novel, legally. So, in the current political environment THERE IS NO PRIVACY.

bodhi.zazen
July 23rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
Moved to the cafe.

The security section is for support =)

cooper77z
July 23rd, 2009, 01:01 AM
That's an understandable move, but there is a philosophy and reason behind security and support. I think you made a mistake moving this thread, but no bad feelings. I make mistakes all the time.

Tibuda
July 23rd, 2009, 01:03 AM
I could be wrong, as this is purely a conceptual reason, but there are so many emergings computer professionals learning and testing ubuntu that they would probably notice most security threats.

That's what Eric Raymond calls "Linus' law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus%27_Law)":

given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow
or

Given a large enough beta-tester and co-developer base, almost every problem will be characterized quickly and the fix will be obvious to someone.

chris200x9
July 23rd, 2009, 01:10 AM
not my novel!

cooper77z
July 23rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
Right on, I suspected Linus knew what he was doing. Though, I doubt he labored over the code in a literal sense. Maybe Linus actually enjoyed the code?