PDA

View Full Version : One learns as one goes along doesn't one ;)

Maupertus
January 26th, 2006, 09:28 PM
My mother always says that it's good to evaluate your day, so you can look at the experiences you've had and learn from them.

As there aren't a lot of people in my usual crowd of friends with whom I can discuss the joy I sometimes get when using Ubuntu, okay okay I'm an addict, I thought I'd share it in the Community Chat.

2 small things happend today that made me smile.
First, I had a friend over as we were drinking coffee and chatting about things in the world as they stand, she remembered that she had to e-mail somebody and wanted to surf to some page for some information, which she then wanted to edit into a spreadsheet.
She did all this, as a first time Linux user, without even thinking. "Yeah, I couldn't find the spreadsheet program, but I just browsed the applications tab and found it in no time."
I was so proud. Now that's the essence of Desktop ready right there ;)

Secondly, I just installed Kubuntu on a box my father passed down to me as he has a new one. Now for some people this may not be good news, but I like the fact that I now know the difference and like Gnome better. At first I never really gave to much credit to people that said that less was more, but now I really understand. Don't get me wrong, I like Kubuntu, it has a certain appeal, but I doesn't have the ease that Ubuntu has. I'm spending to much time figuring stuff out in stead of just having fun. (Now how can I make .ogg files and how can I transfer my music from my iPod to my box!? Grmbl!) All this went naturally with Ubuntu.

Ahhhh, that felt good, I don't really know what use this thread can have, but I just wanted to tell people that would know what I was talking about. :cool:

Now, back to that *bl@sted* amaroK.

endersshadow
January 26th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Well, I'm glad that you're happy with Ubuntu...and I agree, less is more :-D

As for moving files from your iPod to your computer, just fire up gtkpod, and then right click on the songs you want and hit "Save to Disk" :wink:

aPello
January 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Ubuntu is simplicity at its best.

Derek Djons
January 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Nice to hear this one :)

But about KDE versus Gnome. At the moment as I write I am downloading Kubuntu to give KDE a try. I've been a Gnome users since I got into RedHat Linux and Fedora Linux. I like the fact that it works with so much minimalism. But the latest version of KDE has some interesting updates and features I want to check. In the back of my head I know that some programs will be called different and I'll have to scope out the package manager in order to get my box into the same state. I can understand that you lose some joy as you're spending time againg figuring out and searching. But if you gave it a bit more time... who knows. Maybe you would've tweaked KDE that way you would even like it more than Gnome. :)

Puptentacle
January 27th, 2006, 08:58 AM
My previous install I had both KDE and Gnome. Tried both extensively. I really like Gnome better.

First thing I do with an XP install is get rid of all the "fluff". Gnome is fluff-free. I like that.

Maupertus
January 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I went back to GNOME, although I have to say that I liked tweaking KDE, but the lay-out (which I have to say is almost always alterable) is so complex that it took to much patience to work out how I wanted it to be.

My major beef is that 'start-menu' thing, which is strange since I remember having used other distro's that use the same window's kind of start-button, but I guess that I'm just not used to it anymore. It was completely un-intuitive.

But it was fun to try.:D

bloodborne
January 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Ubuntu is very simple, I mean my mother who is afraid of computers seems to do better in GNOME than in Win XP! :P I personally like it too, haven't tried out KDE, but after using XP for so long I appericiate the cleaner style and simpler functionality of GNOME.