PDA

View Full Version : programming with threads

iochinome
July 23rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
hey guys, so i was assigned to do a project and i have determined that, since it requires two concurrent processes, i should use threads. i found some pretty good, detailed tutorials (if anyone knows any more, though, please share!) but i was told that you had to pay for the API in many cases. what api should i be using? this is not a ridiculously high demand program, but i would like to avoid shelling out cash for software, esp. since this is ubuntu!
(i am running 9.10, btw.)
thanks everyone! much appreciated-

t4thfavor
July 23rd, 2009, 12:20 AM
What language are you using?

Threads in .Net are a helluva lot different than threads in C++.

But no, for a simple application, no pay API will be nessecary in either case.

Rocket2DMn
July 23rd, 2009, 12:26 AM
Moved to Programming Talk. Please be aware that we don't do homework help, but we can answer higher level questions, like how to get started, how to compile, etc...

t4thfavor
July 23rd, 2009, 12:38 AM
Thats precisely the reason I didn't go posting code snippets. I will (usually) just lead the horse to water in this case.

iochinome
July 23rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
dont worry, rocket2dmn, this is not homework- its summer. 'assigned' = group of associates thought i should take care of this aspect of the project. i am using c++ to do this project. it seems like pthreads is the most discussed. how do i get a copy of their api?

thanks!

Rocket2DMn
July 23rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
No problem guys, I wasn't implying that anybody here had done anything wrong, I was just giving you a heads up.

I think the POSIX threads library is standard in C++, the API should be available all over the web. Sorry I don't have a link handy, it's been awhile since I wrote anything in C++. I'll let the PT gurus help you out.

Cheers.

dwhitney67
July 23rd, 2009, 01:04 AM
pthreads are available with the GNU C Library, and they are free.

If you are working with C++, you could also consider using Boost's thread API. It too is free.

t4thfavor
July 23rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
I second the "Boost api" as anyone who has worked with posix threads knows that its alot of work. Any work you can save by using it will be a very nice addition to the end of the project when hunting bugs.

Make sure that it will not interfere with your intended license scheme, if its open source, you may not want to include it, just in case you ever want to sell your app.

kjohansen
July 23rd, 2009, 01:44 AM
openmp is also very easy to work with...

soltanis
July 23rd, 2009, 06:20 AM
OpenMP is the way to go if you are actually trying to use two (or more) processors at the same time. pthreads are a pain in the ***, otherwise use the Boost threads API because it makes everything easier.

slavik
July 23rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
openmp depends on compiler support and uses pthreads anyway.

pthreads are easy if you are careful about using them.

Sockerdrickan
July 23rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Use C++0x std::thread