PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitioning

Adrian0
July 22nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Am fairly new to Linux. I installed Ubuntu 9.04 to my laptop using live CD, taking the whole disk. To protect working files, I have since successfully created a new partition, in Ext 2, using a live CD of GParted.

However, I get the message that 'I am not the owner (which is 'root')! How do I take ownership, so I can re-name the partition, create a new /Home folder and save to this, rather than the folders in the first partition? Do I need to re-format the new partition to FAT, as my laptop is also on a Windows network?

merlinus
July 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
If you want to share the partition with windows, best to format is as ntfs. I would not mount it as /home, however; /data or /media/data would be better, so as not to interfere with your ubuntu /home.

In any event, ext3 or ext4 is far superior to ext2.

Adrian0
July 22nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
If you want to share the partition with windows, best to format is as ntfs. I would not mount it as /home, however; /data or /media/data would be better, so as not to interfere with your ubuntu /home.

In any event, ext3 or ext4 is far superior to ext2.

Thank you! I intend to rename as /DATA. However, I get the message "You are not the owner ('root')". How do I take ownership to incorporate it into the structure?

merlinus
July 22nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
gksu nautlilus

Navigate to the mountpoint, rightclick, properties, permissions. Make sure the partition is unmounted so your changes will stick.