PDA

View Full Version : NTFS vs JAM?

Grenage
July 22nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Greetings fellow enthusiasts!

It occurred to me that with Windows 7 getting so much coverage at the moment, it was a good time to look at the filesystem on which it is based. While it's no EXT3, it seems to have some good traits... but...

How does it fare against fruit-based preserves? I'll wager it's something we've all had concern over; so, onto the test.

First, we need a candidate. Windows 7 RC1 should fit the bill:

For the fruit-based preserve, I decided to go with a raspberry conserve. Being the generous chap I am, I was lenient and opted for seedless:

As the following image indicates, I was unbiased and chose a fully-functioning drive:

After a cursory spreading of Co-op's finest, we are ready. Surely NTFS should have no problems with this?

Alas, NTFS apparently is no good at dealing with jam. The platter seized up quickly, and the unpleasant aroma of charred pop-tarts was rife:

While I ran out of hard drives and was unable to actually test an EXT3 filesystem, I believe it would have handled it better (do we need more than assumptions to gain a reliable comparison?). I suspect EXT3 may have quickly converted the jam into some sort of candy bar before the damage was done, as below:

http://www.grenage.com/6.jpg

So, discuss?

Tipped OuT
July 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Dude why did you do that... you could've given that hard drive to me, I need one..

And it doesn't matter what file system you use, they're all going to mess up. That's like throwing them in a pit of fire. :(

zekopeko
July 22nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Dude why did you do that... you could've given that hard drive to me, I need one..

And it doesn't matter what file system you use, they're all going to mess up. That's like throwing them in a pit of fire. :(

You mean a pit of JAM.

moster
July 22nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
That drive was probably worth less then cost of mail to get to you. If you will feel better :)

s.fox
July 22nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
Maybe the result would have been different if you used strawberry jam :D

Grenage
July 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM

I was only messing around, the drive was half-knackered from the off.

Maybe the result would have been different if you used strawberry jam

You may have something there, something to try when the next batch of drives arrive. ;)

swoll1980
July 23rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
The reiserfs would have killed that jam.

benj1
July 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM

i think youre sort of missing the point.

can i just point out that this is unfair, the thread title clearly said 'jam' whereas you used conserve. conserve is lumpier than jam and so that would have a negative effect on the drive, also did it have seeds? i suspect an ext3 files system (although ext4 would of course work faster) would deal much better with this as they are more used to dealing with many different kernels (seeds), compared to NFTS.

ps did you drop it, which way up did it land ?

heroidi
July 23rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
next time try it with vfat

Grenage
July 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Clearly I was unjust in my testing. I shall endeavor to try more operating systems, perhaps using some top-line Intel SSDs. Just to rule out the incredibly unlikely event of the drive mechanics being an issue.

Tipped OuT
July 23rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
i think youre sort of missing the point.

can i just point out that this is unfair, the thread title clearly said 'jam' whereas you used conserve. conserve is lumpier than jam and so that would have a negative effect on the drive, also did it have seeds? i suspect an ext3 files system (although ext4 would of course work faster) would deal much better with this as they are more used to dealing with many different kernels (seeds), compared to NFTS.

???

hanzomon4
July 23rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
The reiserfs would have killed that jam.

hehehehe... lol... I know it's wrong but that's funny

benj1
July 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
???

what did you not understand ?

lukjad
July 23rd, 2009, 01:16 PM

madsmeg
July 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
I for one think this test was far to unfair.

I see no evidence of a clean room being set up for the hard drive dismantle.

This may disrupt the results of the test if, say, dust was to get into the platter...

Tipped OuT
July 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
what did you not understand ?

Everything? I'm not that much of a geek (NO OFFENSE INTENDED) so I didn't understand a word... :redface:

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
FAT32 + Peanut Butter! :p

calrogman
July 24th, 2009, 03:43 AM
the reiserfs would have killed that jam.

ಠ_ಠ

benj1
July 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Everything? I'm not that much of a geek (NO OFFENSE INTENDED) so I didn't understand a word... :redface:

can i just point out that this is unfair, the thread title clearly said 'jam' whereas you used conserve. conserve is lumpier than jam and so that would have a negative effect on the drive,
google jam and conserve (in the uk sense), they are two different things, conserve tends to be lumpier which would effect the result, its bad science, but i was being slightly facetious aswell

also did it have seeds? i suspect an ext3 files system (although ext4 would of course work faster) would deal much better with this as they are more used to dealing with many different kernels (seeds), compared to NFTS.
jams can have seeds in, operating systems have kernels (a kernel can also mean to a seed), here i was drawing an extremely witty parallel between seeds in jam and kernels in an os

toast according to urban legend/scientific fact always lands butter side (and hence jam side) down, i was just wondering if the urban legend/scientific fact applied to hard drives aswell.

oedipuss
July 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I know you know, but I had to post this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKOsajNZY4

:lol: