PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What bootloader do I use?

Theory5
July 22nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
I am dual-booting ubuntu and vista. After I install ubuntu, I have no idea how i am going to get it to boot without keeping my usb flash drive connected. What bootloader should I use, what are my options?

raymondh
July 22nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
I am dual-booting ubuntu and vista. After I install ubuntu, I have no idea how i am going to get it to boot without keeping my usb flash drive connected. What bootloader should I use, what are my options?

Can you post the terminal output of

sudo fdisk -l

Your GRUB (the default bootloader for Ubuntu ... which when you installed Ubuntu overwrote the windows bootloader) could be in the USB thumb drive.

You'll need to install GRUB to the MBR. Here's a detailed and simple tutorial to follow:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Good luck. Back-up your files.

imtheguru
July 23rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
I am dual-booting ubuntu and vista. After I install ubuntu, I have no idea how i am going to get it to boot without keeping my usb flash drive connected. What bootloader should I use, what are my options?Perform a Wubi install of Ubuntu.

This is by far the most painless way to exercise a dual-boot system and keeps NT-Bootloader as the default bootloader.

Cheers.

starcannon
July 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu How To (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows)

stlsaint
July 23rd, 2009, 02:00 AM
after ubuntu is completely and successfully installed it should automatically boot into itself without the usb...you may want to recheck your installation if you have to boot thru usb everytime! and it should add itself to your vista booloader so you have the option to choose ubuntu...at least thats how it was for me!!

presence1960
July 23rd, 2009, 03:34 AM

How did you install Ubuntu? a Cd or a usb drive? Where did you install Ubuntu? to an internal hard disk or an external drive? more info is needed. be precise.