PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Installation Problem (something with the graphics)...

tyblogger5
July 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Hi all,

I'm having a problem installing Ubuntu 9.04 on a Dell Dimension 2300 with a Intel Pentium 4 processor. After choosing to run the OS from the live CD, I get a message saying that Ubuntu needs to run in low graphics mode along with the following error:

(EE) Intel(0): Failed to pin front buffer: Cannot allocate memoryThis computer has had recent problems under Windows XP (the exact reason I am installing Ubuntu :D). The problems were some viruses and extremely slow startup. Can anyone give some advice.

I tried to create a USB start disk but that didn't work because the computer does not support booting from USB drives. So I checked the Live CD for defects (it was clean). Please help!

Thanks,
tyblogger5

Mark Phelps
July 23rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
According to Google, your machine is running Intel graphics and comes in three memory configs (128MB, 256MB, and 512MB). The intel graphics is a problem for Ubuntu 9.04; the first two memory options won't allow you to install from the desktop CD.

If you can't get decent graphics using the LiveCD, that's likely to be a major problem after installation getting it to work. You should search the Video subforum with your machine model to see if anyone else has encountered and solved this problem -- before you do an install.

tyblogger5
July 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I just found the Dell ISO for Ubuntu 9.04, maybe I'll download that one instead.