PDA

View Full Version : First Encounter - customer asking about Linux

Derek Djons
January 26th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Actually I never expected to even talk about Linux with customers but today was the day. Around the afternoon a man came inside the store I work in (an Apple Centre) and looked around. He asked me some info about the Apple Ipod. After a while the subject switched to computers.

The man was a doctor and wanted four Mac Mini's for in his office. On some days the waiting time was to painful for people and in his opinion people could really kill some time by being able to browse the internet, login into their webmail and even being able to use Office applications. Reading myself to advice him in Apple software and other info he suddenly interupted by asking...: "Is Linux a possibility?"

Invisible tears ran down my face... of joy of course :)
I asked him about his experience with Linux. That was zero. But since the patients only would have to browse, webmail and use an office suite (optional) the sky was the limit with Linux in my opinion.

I explained to him that Linux the way it is now would be the most suitable option. The Mac Mini's could be installed with the PPC versions of Ubuntu / Kubuntu and how the Synaptic (the packetmanager) worked. Of course I also explained him the advantages of Linux as an OSS above Microsoft products and solutions. I've also shown him a lot of photo's about Ubuntu which are posted on www.osdir.com gallery and explained how easy it would be for his patients. He could just drag some icons onto the desktop, install the applications he wants his patients to use and use the Update Manager once a week in order to keep everything up-to-date.

After half an hour this man was in heaven. From just hearing the word Linux from a friend and leave with knowledge and information about what Linux can mean for him and his plans just thrilled him.

Today... it was a beautiful day! :)

Lord Illidan
January 26th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Er, not a bad suggestion, but is Mac OS X better than Ubuntu/Kubuntu? Especially if it comes with the Mac Minis?

If he is going to get Mac Minis, he should stay with OSX imho. Apart from the fact that it is more stylish, he has paid for it (if it comes bundled with it).

If he is not going to get Mac Minis, then yes, he should try Linux.

Good to see that awareness is spreading. Kudos to everyone!

aysiu
January 26th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I'm with Lord Illidan on this one.

If your customer wants to use Linux, he should get a Linux-preinstalled PC or a Windows-preinstalled one. PowerPC Ubuntu is a bit crippled.

TechSonic
January 26th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I'm serious. That brought a tear to me eye.

It's such a wonderful feeling to be able to brighten ones day.

aysiu
January 26th, 2006, 10:21 PM
P.S. Congratulations! I'd be crying tears of joy, too.

Bandit
January 26th, 2006, 10:30 PM
There is 2 big beinifits using Linux over OSX.
1) Little more secure. Less spyware/adware/virus headaches...
2) Software free of charge. I.e: OpenOffice.org..

Just My opinion...

Bandit

aysiu
January 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM
There is 2 big beinifits using Linux over OSX.
1) Little more secure. Less spyware/adware/virus headaches... Do Mac users get a lot of adware and viruses, really?

2) Software free of charge. I.e: OpenOffice.org.. This I agree with. When my wife got her Powerbook last year, we immediately install OpenOffice on it, but startup was really slow (even slower than on Linux), so she caved and bought Microsoft Mac Office.

Lord Illidan
January 26th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Do Mac users get a lot of adware and viruses, really?

This I agree with. When my wife got her Powerbook last year, we immediately install OpenOffice on it, but startup was really slow (even slower than on Linux), so she caved and bought Microsoft Mac Office.

The Mac Mini is already slow enough, just think of OOffice on them :(

And as you said, aysiu......the Mac is already secure enough, the core is BSD after all.. supposed to be the most secure in the world.

Also, another 2c. I'd refrain from getting macs, at least for now. This whole thing about x86 macs could mean new products coming to market at the time this doctor buys his mac mini... (he'll be screwed).

4 cheap computers can use linux... less stylish true, but KDE can make up for that.. or GNOME..

Bandit
January 26th, 2006, 11:05 PM
OOo is that slow on the Mac? I didnt realize. True that can be a determining factor.
Spyware/Adware/Viruses, very very low on the Mac, but still more then Linux.

Just an opinion.. I never rana Mac mini before, the last Mac I used was a 800MHz G5 system with 512MB RAM. It was very spunky system. But never ran OOo on it becuase my uncle liked the Apple Works that came with it.

Another note: I wouldnt buy the mac mini either, I would build some mATX systems to run linux on at about 1/4th the price for each Mac Mini....

TechSonic
January 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I wanna try putting a stripped down linux on an old Apple 2E I have collecting dust in my basement. Remember those insane large floppy disks they had? >.>

Lord Illidan
January 26th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I also remembered. If the customers see a Mac Mini, they are going to be all excited about the prospect of using a Mac.. Now, don't get me wrong, but I can hardly see them getting excited when confronted with ubuntu, instead. On a plain computer this wouldn't be the case, probably.. but on a Mac....

jc87
January 26th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I have a dream which is very similar , in where i met a nice , smart , and very sexy girl which comes to me and say :

Teach me to use Gnu/Linux ... (and also how to make love :P )

And in the end i install Ubuntu at her pc (and we also marry and have a lot of kids , but that isn't that important ).

alinuxfan
January 27th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I wanna try putting a stripped down linux on an old Apple 2E I have collecting dust in my basement. Remember those insane large floppy disks they had? >.>

Man, I wish I had one of those. I did my first programming on those and 2C

GOTO my favorite command (a little sarcasm here)

DigitalDuality
January 27th, 2006, 01:16 AM
If he likes the look of the Mini box... there's also one by AOpen..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/02/mini_vs_mini/

I personally would prefer the average user (be it in this guy's situation) or in a business environment, use an OS where they are increasingly unfamiliar with how to install things.

Alot less clean up is needed in these cases.