PDA

View Full Version : Aliens what's the possibility........

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
.....that they really exist and have already made contact with earth.

I find it quite plausible to believe that in some part of this Universe (or somewhere else who know?) exists some kind of an alien form of life. But I find it very difficult to believe that an alien form far more technologically advanced have traveled light minutes/hours and had somehow made contact with earth.

What do you think?

dragos240
July 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
No idea.

Tipped OuT
July 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I know people are going to write long boring paragraphs about this, but I won't.

I think it's possible, you can't disprove, or prove it in anyway. It would be fascinating to meet an advanced race (just hope they're peaceful), so they can help us with our problems.

spoons
July 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Has anyone thought, we might BE "them"? I don't mean living half way across the universe or whatever, but what if we're the most advanced and we're the ones who are going to be doing the visiting?

starcannon
July 22nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
I think its probable that there are other sentient intelligence out there some where; whether they are as advanced, less advanced, or advanced enough to have come visiting, I couldn't say for sure; while I think its possible that aliens have/can visit our planet, I think it is highly improbable.

Thats my take on it anyway.

GL a HF

Tipped OuT
July 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Has anyone thought, we might BE "them"? I don't mean living half way across the universe or whatever, but what if we're the most advanced and we're the ones who are going to be doing the visiting?

Have you ever thought the "Aliens" and UFO's are just us from the future, visiting the past? We could've evolved, and look like the classic grey alien that is always depicted.

AllRadioisDead
July 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
i know people are going to write long boring paragraphs about this, but i won't.

I think it's possible, you can't disprove, or prove it in anyway. It would be fascinating to meet an advanced race (just hope they're peaceful), so they can help us with our problems.
+1

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM

More the probable though I'd say we won;t be seeing much without a microscope...

Have you ever thought the "Aliens" and UFO's are just us from the future, visiting the past? We could've evolved, and look like the classic grey alien that is always depicted.

Eh, this does really obey the physical THEORIES existing in our times, but these theories are mostly shallow so......

starcannon
July 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
But then they wouldn't be aliens, they'd just be time travelers. The improbability factor dial just got cranked to 11.

zoomy942
July 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
what about the notion that people forget.

we assume life would be sentient and based on carbon and function in some manner like us. they would have cities and communities and buildings and want to explore just like us.

how do we know?

they could be so many things we arent even aware of becasue we havent thought like that.

does that make sense?

starcannon
July 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM

we assume life would be sentient and based on carbon and function in some manner like us. they would have cities and communities and buildings and want to explore just like us.

how do we know?

they could be so many things we arent even aware of becasue we havent thought like that.

does that make sense?

Oi, alien to our very ability to perceive, in which case we could not perceive them anyway, and thus those particular aliens would never be noticed... okay starting to get dizzy.

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM

how do we know?

does that make sense?

It makes a lot of sense, but it's less probable.

Tipped OuT
But then they wouldn't be aliens, they'd just be time travelers. The improbability factor dial just got cranked to 11.

Well yes, but we call them aliens, because we don't know what they are. See? It's only coming together now, MUAHAHHAA. lol

CJ Master

Many people think this.

Unfortunately, we don't live in a Star Trek universe. We're not all going to have the same technology. There will be races with super weapons that can destroy entire planets and fleets, and there will be those like us, that're just learning how to leave earth...

^Assuming aliens exist.

Little Bit
I think it's arrogant of us to think we are the only sentient beings in the universe. We're not even the only sentient beings on Earth for that matter! What if some aliens came to visit dolphins or other whales, and we're just in the way or perceived as hostile because we fill the sky with military aircraft? I not only think they're out there, I'm expecting them! And I expect them to be friendly, too.

Amy

CJ Master
July 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I think it's arrogant of us to think we are the only sentient beings in the universe. We're not even the only sentient beings on Earth for that matter! What if some aliens came to visit dolphins or other whales, and we're just in the way or perceived as hostile because we fill the sky with military aircraft? I not only think they're out there, I'm expecting them! And I expect them to be friendly, too.

Amy

Why should they be friendly? I expect if aliens come then we'd all be forced as slaves, or just entirely eradicated.

mikkie
July 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Stop guessing! I just talked to a couple. They want a linux world domination.

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Star Trek is way out of reality. Anyone with a consistent theory?

Tipped OuT
July 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Stop guessing! I just talked to a couple. They want a linux world domination.

/thread

LOL

JDShu
July 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM

Amy

So long, and thanks for all the fish

heroidi
July 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
I was alienophobic but i passed that from some research so i found out that they don't exist

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bit http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7660512#post7660512)

Amy

Why should they be friendly? I expect if aliens come then we'd all be forced as slaves, or just entirely eradicated.

First off if they come they will be much more advanced than us thus they can do whatever they like with us. Secondly, we aren't even friendly with the next door neighbors, with other humans. HOW in hell can we be friendly with aliens? Moreover, talk about racism....:lolflag:

Little Bit
July 22nd, 2009, 09:49 PM

Well, that's the sort of assumption that would put everyone on high alert so that we would appear hostile - even to friendly visitors. We don't assume the worst about people. We don't assume the worst about animals. Why should we assume the worst about aliens?

We can certainly defend ourselves (like the V thread or Independence Day), but I think we should do that only if provoked.

Hypothetically of course,
Amy

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I was alienophobic but i passed that from some research so i found out that they don't exist

Alienophobic....Is that even a word? Anyways going in the extremes isn't the best answer. It's better to stay moderated.

doas777
July 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
probability is high.

amingv
July 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll eventually come. They're just giving the finishing touches to their SEP field generator...

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Well, that's the sort of assumption that would put everyone on high alert so that we would appear hostile - even to friendly visitors. We don't assume the worst about people. We don't assume the worst about animals. Why should we assume the worst about aliens?

We can certainly defend ourselves (like the V thread or Independence Day), but I think we should do that only if provoked.

Hypothetically of course,
Amy

Not really, we wouldn't be able to defend ourselves. We'd be worst than the victims of the Holocaust, much worst.

Sealbhach
July 22nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
That other intelligent life forms exist, very likely I would say. That they can or ever could visit us highly unlikely, because the universe is so vast, as Katie Melua tells us in her song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JMFiBwcVyQ#t=1m40s

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
probability is high.

Of what? Of them already been here?

Cyked
July 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us
- Bill Watterson

amingv
July 22nd, 2009, 09:55 PM

Resistance is futile.

I'd try and defend the earth, but a noble Jedi may not kill.

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
If they haven't contacted us they wouldn't know how much we suck :lolflag:

Tipped OuT
July 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
- Bill Watterson

I actually LOL'd. Cause we're a violent race, in general.

m@dm@x
July 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
XENU exists. This is all I need to know.

Max

heroidi
July 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Alienophobic....Is that even a word? Anyways going in the extremes isn't the best answer. It's better to stay moderated.

Yes it is a disiase and i was sick of that couldn't sleep for nights and nights so consulted to a psychologist and i got better now i know that they don't exist.

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
XENU exists. This is all I need to know.

Max

:lolflag: Don't start any topics about those freaks. Those freaks will don anything to defend their business!

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Yes it is a disiase and i was sick of that couldn't sleep for nights and nights so consulted to a psychologist and i got better now i know that they don't exist.

Kk :D

m@dm@x
July 22nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
:lolflag: Don't start any topics about those freaks. Those freaks will don anything to defend their business!

Pretty much!

Max

amingv
July 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM

So... basically your psycologist cured you by telling you your problem doesn't exist?

I suggest you stay away from threads like this, or you may fall back into a crisis :).

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
So... basically your psycologist cured you by telling you your problem doesn't exist?

I suggest you stay away from threads like this, or you may fall back into a crisis :).

With all these consisting theories, there's imminent danger lol.

heroidi
July 22nd, 2009, 10:05 PM

I loled he told me to do some research so i made them and i know that they don't exist.

amingv
July 22nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
I loled he told me to do some research so i made them and i know that they don't exist.

Well, I'm no doctor, but a better way to cure it would be watching all the star wars movies.

*Hides to hug Chewie plushie*

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
:lolflag: This is quite funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85URb_TbPcU

So they sustain that the locals tried to help the alien. I'd imagine the seen lol. They'd feed him a lot of lead, straight out of the barrel of a warn shotgun. :lolflag:

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Lol in the comments (of that video) people are confusing the alien thing

with the masons
the Illuminati
and God.

Now I guess the Illuminati are really alien forms brought on earth guided by satana to destroy God's creation. :lolflag:

Delever
July 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
The amount of galaxies that exist is incomprehensible, so even if universe is finite and life is scarce, intelligent life is probable. However, if life is common, intelligent life is even more probable. And if universe is infinite, intelligent life must exist, unless we are some kind of peak in otherwise uniform bleak universe, what would be very arrogant :)

As for aliens who can both travel and find us - just imagine us in their place. What we see around is illusion that biological evolution "stopped" when technological one started. That means that evolved life form should be smart enough to survive until their technology is capable to update their biology at the same pace. I think in any such success, synthetic life is inevitable - imagine civilization which can adopt itself to live on any planet of it's solar system and send millions of sentient drones in all directions. Thats how life would look if we meet them. I don't think we would be slaves or somehow useful to them - but if we are lucky, they might just put us in aquarium like rare specimen.

bob-linux-user
July 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Well we know aliens don't use Ubuntu-it is "Linux for Human Beings".

-Saw that in a cartoon somewhere. Linux Format Magazine in the UK?

If we ever invent FTL spaceships we should spy on alien civilisations then pick an individual alien who won't be believed by his friends later, land in front of him, and then go home again-like "Teasers" in the HHG2TG

SLEEPER_V
July 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
technically it is infinitly possible that there is other life out there. Furthur, it is infinitly possible that there is life EXACTLY like us. Considering that the universe is infinite, that means there are infinite opportunities for life to form in the exact same manner it has on earth. It would be ridiculous and irrational to think otherwise.

SunnyRabbiera
July 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Stupid Earthlings...

amingv
technically it is infinitly possible that there is other life out there. Furthur, it is infinitly possible that there is life EXACTLY like us. Considering that the universe is infinite, that means there are infinite opportunities for life to form in the exact same manner it has on earth. It would be ridiculous and irrational to think otherwise.

Asuming the circumstances that made us evolve to what we are are the exact same as the ones that make them evolve...

heroidi
Ok i'll tell ya how i found out just read some Sufi poetry and so i knew that there is nothing besides us!

SLEEPER_V
July 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Asuming the circumstances that made us evolve to what we are are the exact same as the ones that make them evolve...

Yes...if the universe is infinite then the exact same circumstances have occured and will occur an infinite number of times.

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM

I think the possibility of aliens "EXACTLY like us is very, very low indeed considering that nothing in the entire universe is exactly identical. The original question was the possibility of alien life forms have already contacted earth.

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 10:48 PM
Yes...if the universe is infinite then the exact same circumstances have occured and will occur an infinite number of times.

Mathematics can only draw conclusions in theory. There will always be a possibility but first lets prove the Universe is indeed infinite.

SLEEPER_V
July 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
I think the possibility of aliens "EXACTLY like us is very, very low indeed considering that nothing in the entire universe is exactly identical. The original question was the possibility of alien life forms have already contacted earth.

In regards to the first part of your statement, I believe you are confusing possibility and probability. As far as the second part you are correct. Reading pwns me.

Delever
July 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM

Such cases might be a bit far though... Actually, i can't really accept theory that it is infinite because it would mean that same circumstances can occur on two different planets in same solar system. With same history.

However, finite universe would also be beyond weird.

Hmm. Another possibility could be that same universe exists as repeated pattern. That pattern may repeat beyond the boundaries of what we are able to see, but if it repeats often, it may be possible to see our galaxy as it looked long time ago (because of speed of light).

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
In regards to the first part of your statement, I believe you are confusing possibility and probability. As far as the second part you are correct. Reading pwns me.

Right there. I really ain't good enough in English yet. Sorry.

amingv
July 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM

Infinite space does not imply an increase in the posiblility of the same action being performed at the same time by two individuals. Earth has a limited space, and there's no reason not to believe two people may have "synced" their circumstances right now.

Either way, I hope our "clones" are not anti-matter :).

SLEEPER_V
July 22nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
Such cases might be a bit far though... Actually, i can't really accept theory that it is infinite because it would mean that same circumstances can occur on two different planets in same solar system. With same history.

However, finite universe would also be beyond weird.

Hmm. Another possibility could be that same universe exists as repeated pattern. That pattern may repeat beyond the boundaries of what we are able to see, but if it repeats often, it may be possible to see our galaxy as it looked long time ago (because of speed of light).

a finite universe would be really weird. What are the boundaries? What is beyond the boundary? Wouldnt that imply that the boundary isnt the boundary of the universe, just a boundary that we cant fatham traversing? And yes, the circumstances would be rare to say the least, but it would happen given an infinite universe. The possible theories of the actual substance are insane. They range from terribly complex to absurdly simple. All leave questions unanswered.

HappinessNow
July 22nd, 2009, 11:05 PM

I find it quite plausible to believe that in some part of this Universe (or somewhere else who know?) exists some kind of an alien form of life. But I find it very difficult to believe that an alien form far more technologically advanced have traveled light minutes/hours and had somehow made contact with earth.

What do you think?

I am an Alien, and I do believe I exist. I am enjoying my visit/studies here.

SLEEPER_V
July 22nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
Infinite space does not imply an increase in the posiblility of the same action being performed at the same time by two individuals. Earth has a limited space, and there's no reason not to believe two people may have "synced" their circumstances right now.

Either way, I hope our "clones" are not anti-matter :).infiity does mean an increase in possibility, but not probability.

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Well I believe some questions will remain unanswered for ever. Well at least till we die. Who knows?

amingv
July 22nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
infiity does mean an increase in possibility, but not probability.

...as long as that infinity is uniformly populated, otherwise it's irrelevant.
I will admit, however, I find myself unable to see the big (infinite?) picture, so yeah, all theories.

Though I always though we may just be an atom of some form of macrohelium, together with other exact atoms in a relatively small cloud of macrohelium. :)

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
...as long as that infinity is uniformly populated, otherwise it's irrelevant.
I will admit, however, I find myself unable to see the big (infinite?) picture, so yeah, all theories.

Though I always though we may just be an atom of some form of macrohelium, together with other exact atoms in a relatively small cloud of macrohelium. :)

That's the String Theory right there I believe.

SLEEPER_V
July 22nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
the whole universe discussion and thought line is mind boggling.

Rainstride
July 22nd, 2009, 11:22 PM

What do you think?

the chance of aliens existing somewhere in this universe is 100%, if you run the odds the safe bet is they exist.

as for them coming to earth... slim to none. in the scale of things, we are basically out in the middle of nowhere, we're drifting on the edge of the galaxy..

zoomy942
July 22nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
the chance of aliens existing somewhere in this universe is 100%, if you run the odds the safe bet is they exist.

as for them coming to earth... slim to none. in the scale of things, we are basically out in the middle of nowhere, we're drifting on the edge of the galaxy..

good call. i mean think about it - what are the chances of an ant in my yard finding another ant in an anthill in the chinese countryside...

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
There is a much better chance of creating artificial life (with biochemistry) before we ever encounter an alien life form. Medicine is advancing at a very quick pace. Last month I read an article about someone saying he has created a microorganism (multi cell I believe) that is actually alive. It feeds and evolves O.O

Today on BBC News another one is saying in 10 years an artificial brain could be created LINK (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8164060.stm)
I wonder the IQ LOL kidding.

arcdrag
July 22nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Traveling at light speed takes far more technological advancement than simply destroying a planet.

My guess is that before any culture reaches this pinnacle of technological advancement, some crazy member of the species will push a red button and destroy their entire race.

Blacklightbulb
July 22nd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Traveling at light speed takes far more technological advancement than simply destroying a planet.

My guess is that before any culture reaches this pinnacle of technological advancement, some crazy member of the species will push a red button and destroy their entire race.

Traveling at light speed is physically impossible by todays Physics Laws (which may be wrong). If a species like ours doesn't figure out how to travel and adopt to live on much more arid planets, it would be wiped out by some supernova, or just killed trying to live in impossible terrains. Also I believe without the means to travel at light speeds (and much faster that the speed of light I mean) than we wouldn't be able to find another earth like planet to transfer too before the earth becomes inhabitable.

HappinessNow
July 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
good call. i mean think about it - what are the chances of an ant in my yard finding another ant in an anthill in the chinese countryside...

Highly likely it appears there is an Ant Mega-Colony taking over the world!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1220385

MasterNetra
July 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
It doesn't seem likely another race will just waltz in and solve our problems, not without a personal motive involved. Granted we may get lucky and a overly kind race may come across us. But I'm not banking on it. The responsible races will most likely let us figure out our own problems and might be willing interact with us once we achieve interstellar travel (After all if we're traveling the neighbor hood may as well at least acknowledge us).
And personally if a race does come baring technological gifts especially destructive weapon tech, I would be very much concerned. After all that would tell me they most likely are gonna try to get us to kill each other off. I mean it makes sense if you want to wipe a species out with minimal resources use, just get them to kill themselves. Brilliant!

y6FgBn)~v
July 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
Highly likely it appears there is an Ant Mega-Colony taking over the world!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1220385

I always suspected it would be one of the social insects ;-)

amingv
July 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
Traveling at light speed is physically impossible by todays Physics Laws (which may be wrong). If a species like ours doesn't figure out how to travel and adopt to live on much more arid planets, it would be wiped out by some supernova, or just killed trying to live in impossible terrains. Also I believe without the means to travel at light speeds (and much faster that the speed of light I mean) than we wouldn't be able to find another earth like planet to transfer too before the earth becomes inhabitable.

To think that while we're here wondering if we can be faster than a lightbulb, other races may have figured out improbability drives and bistromathics :(.

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 12:01 AM
To think that while we're here wondering if we can be faster than a lightbulb, other races may have figured out improbability drives and bistromathics :(.

Not all would, its most likely there is a broad range of species at various points of development. Also what makes you think FTL is the only or even the most efficient means of stellar travel? Can't exactly debunk the existence of some form of Hyperspace, and who knows what other methods exist that we haven't even a clue about!

amingv
July 23rd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Not all would, its most likely there is a broad range of species at various points of development. Also what makes you think FTL is the only or even the most efficient means of stellar travel? Can't exactly debunk the existence of some form of Hyperspace, and who knows what other methods exist that we haven't even a clue about!

Easy, above post was supposed to be a joke :smile:
Besides, bistromathics sounds like a darn good idea, plus it solves two problems at once.

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
Easy, above post was supposed to be a joke :smile:
Besides, bistromathics sounds like a darn good idea, plus it solves two problems at once.

lol just addressing the FTL thing in general really, wasn't yellin at ya or jumpin :p lol last sentence was of excitement, not aggression ^.^ Just forgot to use my faces thats all. ^.^

reyfer
July 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
Drake's Equation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

The Drake equation states that:

N = R* × fp × ne × fℓ × fi × fc × L

where:

N is the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;

and

R* is the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp is the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne is the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
fc is the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L is the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

jrusso2
July 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
People have a tendency of thinking of the vast distances in space and thinking of travel in a straight line..

In fact this would not be the way to cross vast distances. You would use something like a worm hole or create one to be close to your destination making travel take minutes instead of millions of years.

chris200x9
July 23rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
being an egotist I'll go with no we are special

Whiffle
July 23rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
I think there is a high likelyhood that there are lifeforms in places other than our solar system/planet.

I think it is highly un-likely, that we, our children, or our children's children will ever meet them. After that? Who knows.

Looking at Hubble Deep Field makes me feel very very small.

arcdrag
July 23rd, 2009, 01:08 AM

I used "light speed" as a figurative term...meaning whatever advances in technology that need to be made in order to travel a far enough distance to visit other cultures in a single lifetime. I didn't mean it literally.

I was just saying that before any civilization reaches the point where this might be a possibility, they will likely self destruct.

HappinessNow
July 23rd, 2009, 01:41 AM
I always suspected it would be one of the social insects ;-)

Better ants then cockroaches!

deanerk
July 23rd, 2009, 01:57 AM
Funny to come across this thread today... I was just reading some Richard Dawkins on my lunch break this afternoon and had to read the following 3 times to absorb it:

...It has been estimated that there are between 1 billion and 30 billion planets in our galaxy, and about 100 billion galaxies in the universe. Knocking a few noughts off for reasons of ordinary prudence, a billion billion is a conservative estimate of the number of available planets in the universe. Now, suppose the origin of life, the spontaneous arising of something equivalent to DNA, really was a quite staggeringly improbably event. Suppose it was so improbable as to occur on only one in a billion planets. A grant-giving body would laugh at any chemist who admitted that the chance of his proposed research succeeding was only one in a hundred. But here we are talking about odds of one in a billion. And yet... even with such absurdly long odds, life will still have arisen on a billion planets - of which Earth, of course, is one.

MikeTheC
July 23rd, 2009, 02:01 AM
Of all the various possibilities that scare me the most, the top two are:

There is other life in the universe, but it's all hostile.

There is no other life -- sentient or otherwise -- in the universe.

Regardless of one's theological or a-theological world view, I would think a reasonable person would hope for their species to have the opportunity to meet and learn from and teach all the others. We're stronger as a whole than we are as individuals. To my mind, it would be awesome if we were in some future era and the equivalent of this message board was a communications forum amongst not just those from the various continents of this world, but from the continents of many, many other worlds out there somewhere amongst the stars.

Maybe one day we can live in some version of Gene Roddenberry's or Joe Straczynski's universe of far-flung civilizations.

Chemical Imbalance
July 23rd, 2009, 02:14 AM

Indeed that would be a huge let down.

Number two being the worst. I'd hate to think we are without *galactic peers.

edit: or intergalactic of course

Delever
July 23rd, 2009, 02:17 AM
Of all the various possibilities that scare me the most, the top two are:

I know scarier:

* Life which does not know what "hostile" means - it simply spreads.

Shpongle
July 23rd, 2009, 02:38 AM
check this out http://xfacts.com/x2.htm

mamamia88
July 23rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
i believe they exist just not convinced they have visited here

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 04:09 AM
I used "light speed" as a figurative term...meaning whatever advances in technology that need to be made in order to travel a far enough distance to visit other cultures in a single lifetime. I didn't mean it literally.

Well as I said within my afterpost I forgot to use my faces, was trying to 'jump' on or at anyone or anything like that. My apologies if it seemed like that. ^.^

I was just saying that before any civilization reaches the point where this might be a possibility, they will likely self destruct.

A number no doubt will, have or in the process of doing so. I wouldn't think that is 'likely' but then again we aren't out there yet. And hopefully we will survive our personal stupid phase to find out for sure. ^.^ (To me at least a world of straight logic and little to no emotion is looking to be a better alternative.)

Dullstar
July 23rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
Here's my take. Life on Earth is possible somehow, right? So, who said the conditions here aren't on some alien planet out there? Besides, what about all the UFO's out there? There are several sightings, and they must not be explained yet, because if they were explained why would they be called Unidentified Flying Objects? Maybe we haven't been attacked now because the aliens are thinking, "Take all the time to overthrow that and then have to get rid of all their atmospheric trash? No thank you!" That's good for us. However, I am still waiting for peaceful aliens to come and give us their technology. About the possibility of life on other planets: let's take a sun-sized star. If there's a planet with the right atmosphere about an AU away, there you go. A planet that we could survive on. I must ask this, what about the possibility of life that lives off other atmospheric gases?...

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
Heres a better quesiton. Even if we are being visited, what is it you tend to do about it? I mean after all waging a war with them would be pointless because all they have to do is withdraw then attack later, as it stands now we may win battles but we wouldn't win the war.

Blacklightbulb
July 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Heres a better quesiton. Even if we are being visited, what is it you tend to do about it? I mean after all waging a war with them would be pointless because all they have to do is withdraw then attack later, as it stands now we may win battles but we wouldn't win the war.

Hey some countries need war to survive and flourish ;)

Besides I woundn't describe Aliens (thousands of years more advanced than us) donating their technology for free as intelligent. Much pretty dumb indeed. I wonder what they would want to trade with (assuming they wouldn't just take it, Who stop them?).

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Hey some countries need war to survive and flourish ;)

Besides I woundn't describe Aliens (thousands of years more advanced than us) donating their technology for free as intelligent. Much pretty dumb indeed. I wonder what they would want to trade with (assuming they wouldn't just take it, Who stop them?).

Not necessarily dumb to donate technology, they may do it, as part of trying to get us to kill each until no one is left. I mean it saves on their resources if they just provide the blueprints, and let us use our resources to kill ourselves.

swoll1980
July 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
There has to be other intelligent life somewhere. No matter how bad the odds are, the number of opportunities trumps that a million fold. As far as contact goes, I would have to say no. We just started broadcasting, not long ago. Before then there would be no sign that we were even here.

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
There has to be other intelligent life somewhere. No matter how bad the odds are, the number of opportunities trumps that a million fold. As far as contact goes, I would have to say no. We just started broadcasting, not long ago. Before then there would be no sign that we were even here.

The broadcast thing has actually been determined to be bogus. Our radio waves would disperse into space static before they reached the nearest star. or was it it would only reach the first couple stars....I forget. Of course even then, unless they were really really trying to listen they probably wouldn't recognize it to be intelligent...and most of it isn't of course. :p

swoll1980
July 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Of course even then, unless they were really really trying to listen they probably wouldn't recognize it to be intelligent...and most of it isn't of course. :p

Yeah there's just no way anyone could know we are here. The best they can do, is look around for a situation, that may provide a planet, that may support complex organisms.

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah there's just no way anyone could know we are here. The best they can do, is look around for a situation, that may provide a planet, that maybe could support complex organisms.

A thought to also consider, what if our world was seeded? Its possible, I mean what better way to study the evolution of a world, ecosystems, species, etc? Through out history and today there have been sightings of different kinds of UFO's and what not. (A long term study no doubt. :p)

swoll1980
July 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Maybe we were refugies from Mars. They say it use to be habitable.

heroidi
July 23rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
I have an idea when the aliens come we can send Stallman to talk to them and to tell them about free software so they give us theyre things and we invade them! or we get @#^!@*#%&@fperjrq^@#*&)(@

amingv
July 23rd, 2009, 10:48 PM
I have an idea when the aliens come we can send Stallman to talk to them and to tell them about free software so they give us theyre things and we invade them! or we get @#^!@*#%&@fperjrq^@#*&)(@

Stallman IS our only comfort actually. I feel relieved in the thought that when aliens do come and bring computers with 3.5Thz proccesors and 8Tb QDR RAM , real-life graphics with holographic screens and 500YB Hard Drives compounded in a watch-sized device which reads external media wirelessly, Linux will support most of it in about a week while other companies will still be strugging with it a year later.

Sorry, I must go dry my droll now.

heroidi
July 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Stallman IS our only comfort actually. I feel relieved in the thought that when aliens do come and bring computers with 3.5Thz proccesors and 8Tb QDR RAM , real-life graphics with holographic screens and 500YB Hard Drives compounded in a watch-sized device which reads external media wirelessly, Linux will support most of it in about a week while other companies will still be strugging with it a year later.

Sorry, I must go dry my droll now.

That is the answer i was waiting for 16 Hours!:o:o:o

Blacklightbulb
July 24th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I'd except them too bring some computer architecture similar to a quantum computer. Or perhaps a computer architecture working on a denary base instead of binary. Anyways, if processing power wouldn't reach an Exahertz I'd be disappointed.