PDA

View Full Version : Which Netbook has best/loudest sound?

MickS
July 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Looking to get a netbook in the near future and one of the jobs I have for it, is for in the kitchen while I'm cooking I would like a recipe on the screen while listening to a podcast. I hate wearing phones and for convenience I would rather not have to plug in extension speakers.
Any suggestions?

Mick

dawnlove
July 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
My eeepc 1000 has fine sound,better than any laptop I've had (not saying much) 9.04 is fully suported

MickS
July 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks I shall keep that one in mind.

Mick

aysiu
July 23rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
I can tell you two that do not have the best/loudest sound:

The Eee PC 701 and the HP Mini 1120nr

Those are the two I've had, and sound is terrible on both, very tinny.

HappinessNow
July 23rd, 2009, 12:25 AM
I can tell you two that do not have the best/loudest sound:

The Eee PC 701 and the HP Mini 1120nr

Those are the two I've had, and sound is terrible on both, very tinny.

Is sound also bad if you are wearing headphones/earbuds?

aysiu
July 23rd, 2009, 12:27 AM
Is sound also bad if you are wearing headphones/earbuds?
I don't know. I don't really want to wear headphone/earbuds with my netbook. That's fine for my Sansa Clip when I'm out for a walk or on the bus, but at home, I don't really want to do that.

markbuntu
July 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Realistically, you are not going to get fabulous sound out of a netbook due to the size and power constraints. The tiny speakers can only do so much. Just park some external laptop speakers on your counter and plug in.

hessiess
July 23rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Realistically, you are not going to get fabulous sound out of a netbook due to the size and power constraints. The tiny speakers can only do so much. Just park some external laptop speakers on your counter and plug in.

+1, Built in laptop/netbook speakers sound awful. Get some external ones or some headphones.

linuxguymarshall
July 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
I have a Lenovo S10 and the sound is great for this small machine but I third the notion of a nice pair of headphones or speakers.

drawkcab
July 24th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I bought an eeepc 900a refurb for $165 shipped.

The sound quality is awful.

But, it is loud as hell and works great for watching video in the kitchen.

Incidently, it sounds pretty good when you plug it into the stereo speakers or use a nice pair of headphones.

MickS
July 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for your input, looks like extension speakers are the way to go.
Don't you think they might be missing a trick here, reasonable sound quality I would have thought would be a good selling point.

Mick

markbuntu
July 24th, 2009, 11:46 PM
For decent speakers you need strong magnets and good sized drivers to project quality sound any distance. This would be very very difficult to implement in the tiny amount of space avaialable in your average netbook and making the machine big enough to hold some quality speakers would end up defeating the whole purpose of netbooks.

koleoptero
July 24th, 2009, 11:51 PM
The sony Vaio P series netbooks have loud sound. But they're expensive.