PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remove GNOME and everything that has anything to do with it

JFASI
July 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Ok, as the title might imply, I want a server. However, the server kernels for Ubuntu are incompatible with CUDA, as they aren't able to build an interface for it, etc. The desktop kernels do not have this problem, so I figured I'd go ahead and install Ubuntu desktop, and then promptly ditch GNOME.

However, it seems I have no idea how to do that. I've gone ahead and purged the package ubuntu-desktop, but gdm and friends still starts. I've tried deleting everything in aptitude, but I quickly realized that dependencies are not fun to work with. Is there any (relatively) easy way of removing GNOME?

What about stopping it from starting ever?

mojoman
July 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Try this, it will remove Gnome for starters. You'll probably want to do that from to console mode and then remove everything that has to do with x-server as well. Should get you pretty close to a server setup. Maybe removing alsa-stuff as well. Be sure to let aptitude or apt-get handle all you dependencies.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

Sub101
July 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
You can remove gdm.

sudo apt-get remove gdm

Which would result in you booting to terminal.

.kkursor
July 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Try installing text-only installation from Ubuntu Desktop Alternate CD (F4 on boot). Maybe this is a solution.

JFASI
July 22nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Great, that worked perfectly, aside from minor version numbering issues. Now how would I go about ditching X?

.kkursor
July 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
What does the word "ditching" mean? The dictionary says that is emergency landing on water :(

mojoman
July 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Great, that worked perfectly, aside from minor version numbering issues. Now how would I go about ditching X?

apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-core x11-common xserver-xorg

will probably do the trick and should remove any other x-server package as well. You'll want to simulate it first just to see what it removes. Notice the -s below which will do a dry-run of the command.

apt-get remove -s --purge xserver-xorg-core x11-common xserver-xorg

Obviously, you'll have to do this in CLI mode or else God knows what happens.

/mojoman

JFASI
July 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Well, I meant remove it. I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to leave it in place, since I'm not using it and I have more than enough hard drive space...

.kkursor
July 22nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
It's better to remove it to free some RAM, I think.