PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dumb newbie, me, has forgotten root password...

johnnie j
July 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
is there any way I can recover this? I'd rather not have to re-install the OS.

HermanAB
July 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Reboot, press Escape, select Single User (Safe) mode. In console, type 'passwd'.

pro003
July 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
If you forgot you password for your ubuntu system you can recover using the following steps

Turn your computer on.

Press ESC at the grub prompt.

Press e for edit.

Highlight the line that begins kernel , press e

Go to the very end of the line, add rw init=/bin/bash

press enter, then press b to boot your system.

Your system will boot up to a passwordless root shell.

Type in passwd username

Set your password.

Type in reboot

snowpine
July 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
There is no 'root password' in Ubuntu. You only need to remember one password, your user password. If you've forgotten that, see the post above.

johnnie j
July 22nd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hi HermanAB and pro003,

Thanks for the fast responses. I have tried to do as you've suggested and when I start to type in the the new password, in single user mode, I am only able to type in one letter and I am not able to use that letter (password, I guess) to enter root mode, su, while in regular mode. Any further suggestions?

Penguin Guy
July 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
I am only able to type in one letter
When typing in a password in a terminal you should not see anything whatsoever. This is a common issue with new users - keep typing and press enter, all will be fine.

enter root mode
If you have followed the above steps correctly you should start off in root mode and should see a prompt something like this:

root@computer:~#
Rather than the normal prompt:

you@computer:~$

sisco311
July 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hi HermanAB and pro003,

Thanks for the fast responses. I have tried to do as you've suggested and when I start to type in the the new password, in single user mode, I am only able to type in one letter and I am not able to use that letter (password, I guess) to enter root mode, su, while in regular mode. Any further suggestions?

if you have admin rights, then sudo passwd root

Linux000
July 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
If you haven't changed it, the root password should be the same password as your account.

sisco311
July 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
If you haven't changed it, the root password should be the same password as your account.

That's the default in Linux Mint, not in Ubuntu. ;)

sisco311
July 22nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
I was able to reproduce this strange behavior.

When you are editing the kernel line you have to delete the ro quiet splash(at least the splash) options before you add rw init=/bin/bash.

johnnie j
July 22nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
sisco311,

That was exactly what I needed to do and thanks to all of you for responding.

With community support like this GNU/Linux will hopefully see a surge in growth over the next few years.

pro003
July 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
That's the default in Linux Mint, not in Ubuntu. ;)

How come? There is only one password at the initial install of ubuntu and that is user's and root's password. I'd called that default behaviour.

sisco311
July 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
How come? There is only one password at the initial install of ubuntu and that is user's and root's password. I'd called that default behaviour.

The root account password is locked. The first user created is in the admin group, therefore is allowed to escalate privileges via sudo/gksu/policykit.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

pro003
July 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
The root account password is locked. The first user created is in the admin group, therefore is allowed to escalate privileges via sudo/gksu/policykit.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

And when you type gksu or sudo before let's say "rm -rf /"you become what?

Paddy Landau
July 23rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
You become horrified! :D

Seriously, I think that you might have missed the point.

Your password and root's password are different.

sudo, gksu and gksudo allow you to run as root, temporarily, without knowing root's password. (You don't become root; you simply run as root.)

For example, if you create two accounts (say, pro003 and myfriend), both as administrators, you'll both have different passwords. Yet, you'll both be allowed to use sudo with your own passwords.

In Ubuntu, by design, you don't know root's password and you don't need to know.

pro003
July 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
You become horrified! :D

Seriously, I think that you might have missed the point.

Your password and root's password are different.

sudo, gksu and gksudo allow you to run as root, temporarily, without knowing root's password. (You don't become root; you simply run as root.)

For example, if you create two accounts (say, pro003 and myfriend), both as administrators, you'll both have different passwords. Yet, you'll both be allowed to use sudo with your own passwords.

In Ubuntu, by design, you don't know root's password and you don't need to know.

But you can assign one, can't you? As a person who installed the system in 1st place you are in group of admin and that gives you a right to use sudo or gksu which is quite enough to gain powers of the superuser and do whatever you want. In sense of terms user is not a root, but can run as root because he's in the admin group by default, so this is a little confusing and we can argue about what's what all day long. The point is that when you install the system, you're neither a user nor a root, you are admin, and as one you can create other accounts, assign different passwords to admin, users or even root. From there we are going into area of administrating the system.
If you google you'll see that in many places root/admin term... So basically it's pretty much the same.
Although a person should never become a root and login to x as one, that would be a catastrophe.

mcduck
July 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM

You become root, but not by using actual root password but your own instead.

If you try to use "su", or directly log in as root, it will fail because you don't have the root password.

Thus, root account is locked in the way that you can't log into it, but it still exists and is usable though "sudo".

What comes to the trick of editing the boot line in Grub, that's not really necessary. Just select the recovery mode from Grub menu, and when asked what to do choose the root shell option.

DarinB
July 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
thank you every one this is one of the best posts i have seen, when i learned red hat they told me if you lose your password you are headed for a reinstall
question on this if have a single user machine therefore single user me has admin rights but there is no root password and it is locked correct? if i for some reason forget that password as a the single user do i follow the same procedure as above by editing the kernel with rw init=/bin/bash. then enter in and change the user single user password, in users and groups properties????

sisco311
July 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
thank you every one this is one of the best posts i have seen, when i learned red hat they told me if you lose your password you are headed for a reinstall
question on this if have a single user machine therefore single user me has admin rights but there is no root password and it is locked correct? if i for some reason forget that password as a the single user do i follow the same procedure as above by editing the kernel with rw init=/bin/bash. then enter in and change the user single user password, in users and groups properties????

the sulogin shipped with Ubuntu is patched to handle disabled root account, you can boot in Recovery Mode (Single User Mode) without entering the root password.

You have to edit the kernel line only if you have a root password and forgot it. And, of course, your user is not in the sudoers.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

jerome1232
July 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM

actually nothing happens.

--preserve-root
do not remove / (default)

Now if you removed /* it's a different story.

shodai100
July 23rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
just put in " sudo su ". Put in your password if it asks for it. Then put in " passwd ". You can then change your password.

pro003
July 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
You become root, but not by using actual root password but your own instead.

If you try to use "su", or directly log in as root, it will fail because you don't have the root password.

Thus, root account is locked in the way that you can't log into it, but it still exists and is usable though "sudo".

What comes to the trick of editing the boot line in Grub, that's not really necessary. Just select the recovery mode from Grub menu, and when asked what to do choose the root shell option.

well you're right about login directly as root, that's not possible, hence there you can log in in terminal by typing sudo -s or sudo -i, enter your users password and you're root@yourmachine:~#

mcduck
July 23rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
well you're right about login directly as root, that's not possible, hence there you can log in in terminal by typing sudo -s or sudo -i, enter your users password and you're root@yourmachine:~#

Exactly like I said, the root account is there and accessible through sudo. :)

(by the way, use "sudo -i", not "sudo -s" or "sudo su". The first one loads root's environment variables correctly, others don't which can sometimes cause nasty side effects..).)

pro003
July 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Exactly like I said, the root account is there and accessible through sudo. :)

(by the way, use "sudo -i", not "sudo -s" or "sudo su". The first one loads root's environment variables correctly, others don't which can sometimes cause nasty side effects..).)

thanks for advice, I hate nasty side effects ;)

geobz
July 28th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I might be dumber....

I upgraded from ibex and when it restarted, i realized i couldn't remember my username. I know the password though. I used to boot up automatically without prompting for the username and password.

Would this thread answer my problems as well?

Thanks

sisco311
July 28th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Reboot in Recovery Mode and type:

ls /home

pro003
July 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I might be dumber....

I upgraded from ibex and when it restarted, i realized i couldn't remember my username. I know the password though. I used to boot up automatically without prompting for the username and password.

Would this thread answer my problems as well?

Thanks

Or...

1. Turn your computer on.
2. Press ESC at the grub prompt.
3. Press e for edit.
4. Highlight the line that begins kernel ........., press e
5. Go to the very end of the line, add rw init=/bin/bash
6. press enter, then press b to boot your system.
7. Your system will boot up to a passwordless root shell.
8. Type in passwd <username>. Set your password.
9. Type in reboot.

sisco311
July 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Or...

3. Press e for edit.
9. Type in reboot.

Well, this method will NOT work.

1. In step 5. you have to delete the ro quiet splash boot options (at least the splash). The splash & init doesn't work together.

2. Even if you add the rw option sometimes the root ("/") partition is mounted ro, so you have to remount it rw:

mount -o remount,rw /

3. The reboot command will not work, you probably have to start some daemons. (Ctrl+Alt+Del works)

4. The hostname is not set.

5. Some commands will not work or will not work properly...

tarps87
July 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Reboot in Recovery Mode and type:

ls /home

This will be the simplest as long as you have not changed your home directory name :)

Or...

3. Press e for edit.
9. Type in reboot.
unfortunate there is a problem with step 8, "i realized i couldn't remember my username"

When you add a user in Ubuntu it automatic adds a group with you user name, once you have logged on in single user mode type

cat /etc/group
No see if you can spot your user name.
(you may need to use more if the output is too long)

cat /etc/group | more

About this would sudo/ root thing, if you look at the documentation for sudo it is very different to the root user. It gives you super user privileges only for the commands specified, it just happens that Ubuntu has a strange way off using it by allowing to to run all commands.

pro003
July 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Sorry sisco311, I just read thread all over again and realized that this is a different guy with a different problem that appears later and I misjudged the issue, and yes your absolutely right about checking the username with "ls /home" command.

I guess I need to get some sleep now, good night guys.

geobz
July 29th, 2009, 09:24 AM
thanks sisco311. You totally saved me!