PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Regaining a partition for reinstall. . . .

JohneG
July 22nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
I have an old computer that i have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on. I would like to install 9.04 on it. The hard drive is partitioned. I also have Mandriva on another partition. So how would i go about installing Ubuntu 9.04 onto the hard drive and for it to take over the whole drive?? I don't know much about manual partitioning (i used the partitioner in the install) so if someone could tell me in easy to understand steps that would be great. Thanks,

John

bacil
July 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
It is really up to you

rule of thumb is swap to be twice of actual RAM size and some ppl recomand that /home is on separate partition.

back in old days i used to have partition for /usr, /opt and /var aswel but reasons for this are obsoleted so my suggestion is to go with whole disk. unless you want to keep your mandriva and old ubuntu.

JohneG
July 22nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
I just want to do a default install of 9.04 but i want it to use the whole drive. How do i do this?

bacil
July 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
there is radio button for use whole disk , when you installing (in disk partition section)

dk06
July 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
It is really up to you

rule of thumb is swap to be twice of actual RAM size and some ppl recomand that /home is on separate partition.

back in old days i used to have partition for /usr, /opt and /var aswel but reasons for this are obsoleted so my suggestion is to go with whole disk. unless you want to keep your mandriva and old ubuntu.

For swap its 1 1/2 Times the amount of installed RAM
__________________________________________________ ______________

If you want Ubuntu to take over the whole drive, choose the:
"Guided, Use Entire Disk Option" during the GUI Install (from Live CD)

JohneG
July 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for that. I cant actually believe i forgot that. I have been preoccupied with trying to get get windows XP to take over a whole drive on a machine i gave to my parents (i had it partitioned with Ubuntu as well but seeing as they don't need it or use it i wanted to regain the partition). I just completely forgot that it was so easy when installing Ubuntu. Anyone know how i could regain the Ubuntu partition on the machine i gave my parents?