PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lost partitions

eng.reem
July 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
hello, i was running Gparted on Ubuntu 9.04 jaunty while by mistake i created a new partition table and lost all my data !
when i rebooted i got error 22 at stage 1.5
i put the live CD and tried to restore data by these commands :

sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1

but i get this error :

Error 15: File not found

any help plz ? i need to restore my data !:(

az
July 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
hello, i was running Gparted on Ubuntu 9.04 jaunty while by mistake i created a new partition table and lost all my data !
when i rebooted i got error 22 at stage 1.5
i put the live CD and tried to restore data by these commands :

but i get this error :

any help plz ? i need to restore my data !:(

Boot the live cd, install Testdisk and run testdisk on your hard drive.

Testdisk can scan you drive for partitions and then add them to the partition table.

Don't panic! Wiping your partition table is no big deal if you have a live cd handy. All your data is still there, it's just a question of putting the partition table back to what it was.

eng.reem
July 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
thanx for ur reply, actually now i downloaded Testdisk on the live cd but it doesn't work,when i click on it nothing happens !

az
July 22nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
thanx for ur reply, actually now i downloaded Testdisk on the live cd but it doesn't work,when i click on it nothing happens !

You run it from the command line:

Example:
sudo testdisk /dev/sda

You may need to enlarge your terminal dialogue box. It will prompt you if his is the case.

eng.reem
July 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
You run it from the command line:

Example:
sudo testdisk /dev/sda

You may need to enlarge your terminal dialogue box. It will prompt you if his is the case.

i get command not found

az
July 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Did you install it?

sudo apt-get install tesdisk

sudo testdisk /dev/sda

eng.reem
July 23rd, 2009, 10:47 PM
ya i installed it ,now the problem of : command not found solved
as i had to enable Community-maintained Open Source software (universe) ,i used testdisk and written the partitions ,but now i get grub error 17 when booting ,how can this be solved ?

oldfred
July 24th, 2009, 01:17 AM
In the changes you made your partitions got renumbered. You can reinstall grub as you mentioned in your first comment and or edit your menu.lst.
Additional info is here:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html#17 (http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eherman546/p15.html#17)