PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Booting ubuntu 8.10 + vista to ubuntu 9.04 and vista

mournblade
July 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hello all, it's my first post here glad to have found you guys. Here goes my question. My computer dual boots through grub, first option being ubuntu 8.10 for me and second option being vista for my smaller brother. I want to upgrade to ubuntu 9.04 through the update manager which seems simple enough.

My problem is, will upgrading to ubuntu 9.04 in such a way affect my dual booting and is there a chance to cause problems with vista? I don't want my brother chasing me for having lost his files or not being able to boot with vista to play WoW:P

lotster
July 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hi! I had exactly the same setup; Ubuntu 8.10 / Vista Dual-boot. When I upgraded to 9.04, I just did a clean install to the same partition that had 8.10; worked perfectly. Shouldn't be any problems with it.

Mark Phelps
July 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
While upgrading Ubuntu should not affect the existing dual-boot capabilities in any way, it would be best if you booted from the 9.04 LiveCD first to ensure that you won't lose any capabilities as a side-effect of the update. There have been lots of posts from other folks that updated to 9.04 and lost video, among other things.

raymondh
July 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Ditto ... try the liveCd first. Then peruse the forum and see experiences from a network upgrade vis-a-vis fresh install ... then decide.

If you decide to fresh install, just install in the same partition as 8.10. If you need assistance, the forum is here.

Also, do back up your (and your brothers' files).

mournblade
July 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hello all, thanks a lot for your help.. I did what you suggested, upgraded with the live cd instead of upgrading through the update manager and everything worked fine. I selected "specify" partitions on the installation menu and then I formatted the ubuntu 8.10 partition. Afterwards I selected that partition to be the one in which ubuntu 9.04 would be installed and now I can dual boot to ubuntu 9.04 and vista.. Thanks again all, cheers:D

raymondh
July 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hello all, thanks a lot for your help.. I did what you suggested, upgraded with the live cd instead of upgrading through the update manager and everything worked fine. I selected "specify" partitions on the installation menu and then I formatted the ubuntu 8.10 partition. Afterwards I selected that partition to be the one in which ubuntu 9.04 would be installed and now I can dual boot to ubuntu 9.04 and vista.. Thanks again all, cheers:D

Well done and congratulations =D>

If you want to mark your thread closed (it'll help future members who may have the same question as yours) ..... go to your first post > edit > advanced > type SOLVED in front of your thread title > save.

Happy Ubuntu-ing.