PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can Dual Boot Slow my Computer?

TheNerdAL
July 22nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
If I install Ubuntu With Dual Boot, will it slow my Windows and Ubuntu?

I am downloading Ubuntu Using Wubi.:)

yeats
July 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
What are your computer's specs (processor, memory)? In general, Ubuntu will run faster than Windows, whether you're dual booting or not. I've never used Wubi, so I can't speak to that specifically.

Bucky Ball
July 22nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Wubi, probably to definitely. Hard drive install, no. They are not working at the same time. Ubuntu usually faster than MS on separate partition but not always. :)

az
July 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
No. Why should it?

Well, there are two small exceptions. The first is the bootloader - it will prompt you every time you boot and wait a few seconds before booting the default OS. So that will delay the time it takes to start booting by however many seconds you have it set to. The second is that Ubuntu takes up disk space.

That in of itself won't slow Windows down at all unless you only leave Windows a very small amount of free space (like less than a Gig). If you leave it normal amount of free space, you won't notice any difference.

Sef
July 22nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
I have installed Wubi and notice no difference except as noted by az in the boot time.

hetx
July 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
If I remember correctly a Wubi installation uses a virtual hard drive image on the Windows partition. So Ubuntu will run a little slower than a "real" installation but when you're in Windows you wont notice a difference in performance at all.