PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What to do when you first boot Ubuntu?

TheNerdAL
July 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Okay, What Do I do when i Boot Ubuntu for the first time on my computer? I am just checking Because I don't want to go back if something happens.:)

masux594
July 22nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
Maybe install updates? Install all the software that u need? Starting to customize your OS? .. sorry but, this sentence is very vague..

Sysc, A

Nburnes
July 22nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
I would get internet working, the get all the updates in the update manager.

TheNerdAL
July 22nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Maybe install updates? Install all the software that u need? Starting to customize your OS? .. sorry but, this sentence is very vague..

Sysc, A

I think I heard that it Freezes in the beginning.:P

Bucky Ball
July 22nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
It shouldn't. Sometimes good to plug an ethernet cable in, boot up and get online. As mentioned, updates will be waiting. Accept them and you may be informed of available restricted drivers for your wireless or video card. (Use the cable if possible as wireless is unlikely to work 'out of the box' if you are using it.)

Get this far and let us know.

BTW, 9.04 or 8.04 and welcome to Ubuntu and the forums.

TheNerdAL
July 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
It shouldn't. Sometimes good to plug an ethernet cable in, boot up and get online. As mentioned, updates will be waiting. Accept them and you may be informed of available restricted drivers for your wireless or video card. (Use the cable if possible as wireless is unlikely to work 'out of the box' if you are using it.)

Get this far and let us know.

BTW, 9.04 or 8.04 and welcome to Ubuntu and the forums.

Thanks, I am just going to Test it a little, and if i love it, I might stick with it, I am a Designer.:)

Bucky Ball
July 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
What kind of design? Try the Gimp for photo shop and Blender is good.

Applications->Graphics->Gimp

and Blender is not installed by default with Ubuntu (part of Ubuntu Studio which might be better suited for you) and can be obtained from the repos:

System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager

Then click 'Search' and search for 'blender'. Click the little box to the left 'Mark for Installation' then 'Apply' in the left of the upper toolbar.

You will then find the application in Applications->Graphics

There is plenty more. Try 'Applications->Add/Remove' and have a look. :)

ikt
July 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Okay, What Do I do when i Boot Ubuntu for the first time on my computer? I am just checking Because I don't want to go back if something happens.:)

When you first boot ubuntu it will ask which language you use, then you will get a list of options to install ubuntu to your hard drive, or to boot into the livecd, or to check the disk for defects.

If you're asking what we do after booting into an already installed ubuntu, I go to: System > Administration > Software Sources > Download From: and choose my local ISP (internode), then reload, and then go to update manager, so all my updates come down without counting towards my usage.

TheNerdAL
July 22nd, 2009, 08:42 AM
What kind of design? Try the Gimp for photo shop and Blender is good.

Applications->Graphics->Gimp

and Blender is not installed by default with Ubuntu (part of Ubuntu Studio which might be better suited for you) and can be obtained from the repos:

System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager

Then click 'Search' and search for 'blender'. Click the little box to the left 'Mark for Installation' then 'Apply' in the left of the upper toolbar.

You will then find the application in Applications->Graphics

There is plenty more. Try 'Applications->Add/Remove' and have a look. :)

I use GIMP Currently on my Windows XP, I still Don't Have Ubuntu YET, I am waiting for the Installation to finish. I can see I will love this forum, But I hear it is Hard to Learn, And other People Say it isn't. Is it hard or not hard to learn?

I also Design Banners, Backgrounds, Logos, Etc. But I have Blender, But I find it REALLY Hard.:(

grubnoob
July 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
I use GIMP Currently on my Windows XP, I still Don't Have Ubuntu YET, I am waiting for the Installation to finish. I can see I will love this forum, But I hear it is Hard to Learn, And other People Say it isn't. Is it hard or not hard to learn?

I also Design Banners, Backgrounds, Logos, Etc. But I have Blender, But I find it REALLY Hard.:(
Here is something that might be of great help. After watching these tutorials, I felt like I was running the show, which made the work allot easier: http://blenderunderground.com/video-tutorials/

TheNerdAL
July 22nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Here is something that might be of great help. After watching these tutorials, I felt like I was running the show, which made the work allot easier: http://blenderunderground.com/video-tutorials/

Thanks.:)

creeddd
July 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
probably do what you first did when you bought your first computer or installed your first OS

Bucky Ball
July 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
I hear it is Hard to Learn, And other People Say it isn't. Is it hard or not hard to learn?

Don't expect Windows, keep an open-mind and enjoy the learning curve. It doesn't suit everybody, but personally, after a year of full time use on three computers on the LAN at home and about a year of dabbling before that (not relying on it, learning and tweaking until I knew enough to make sure things weren't going to crash and be able to have some idea how to fix), I actually find it easier and Windows a bit tedious. I used to be fixing computer software problems all the time for people with Windows. I just refuse now cos just too frustrating!

But that is me ... :)