PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can multiple versions of the same Desktop Environent be installed at the same time?

Dullstar
July 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
I enjoy installing extra Desktop Environments even though I mainly use GNOME.

So far I have GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE (found out about on Wikipedia, by the way), and Fluxbox. That's not the point, however.

My point is that I've heard that KDE 3 is better than the version of KDE I have (4.1?), so I would like to try that out. I also want to avoid hurting my existing installation.

I don't want any opinions, I just want help.

If it helps any, the command I used to add KDE was:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

First, I need to get KDE 3.x installed.
Second, I need to keep my current installation intact.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

j7%<RmUg
July 22nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Id be careful about install multiple versions of KDE (or any desktop environment for that matter).

It may work but what might happen is if you install KDE 3.x then it may not work since you have a newer version installed already, also some people think 3.x is still better because its more stable than the 4.1 series at the moment(less bugs).

Although its easy enough to get KDE 4.2 if you really want it.

Dullstar
July 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Actually, I like to experiment, so updating (like I said though, I only THINK I have 4.1 or 4.0) wouldn't be a bad idea. Neither would harming the existing installation, I haven't gotten much use out of it yet compared to my others.

j7%<RmUg
July 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Ok well since you dont mind experimenting i suggest you go here to learn how to install KDE 4.2.4 in ubuntu:

http://ubuntumanual.org/posts/178/install-or-upgrade-to-kde-4-2-4-in-ubuntu-or-kubuntu

NOTE: This will probably install over any earlier KDE versions you have installed.

Dullstar
July 23rd, 2009, 02:22 AM
I'll do that. I could probably get an older version of KDE by finding an older version of Kubuntu on the Internet. I could see my self getting use out of LiveCD's, and the websites generally offer downloads for if you want to burn your CD yourself.

Dullstar
July 23rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Okay, I think I have an idea. What if I download the CD image for Kubuntu 8.04, then burn a CD? Sure, won't exactly be too usable on this computer except for trying it out, but I should be able to use it should I decide I like it better.

Does anyone know if that would work?

Dullstar
July 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
You know, I think now that I bothered to grab the piece of paper with the Wireless Network Keycode thing so I could get my KDE connected to the internet, I am liking it.

Note that I started posting this and forgot about it, the previous post comes next.

Dullstar
August 22nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
Or, just for the heck of it, run it in a VM!!!

stanca
August 29th, 2009, 11:08 PM
When I was using Kubuntu 8.04 I had both kde3.5 and kde4 working,selecting them from kdm>session.So I guess it is still possible.

Tiwanaku
August 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Another option is to try the Debian Lenny KDE Live CD (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/i386/iso-cd/debian-live-501-i386-kde-desktop.iso), which still includes KDE 3.5. It will give you a bit more of a "pure" KDE 3.5 than Kubuntu IMHO. (Though Kubuntu's KDE4 is relatively pristine.)