PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] key remapping and shortcuts in GNOME

nexus_2006
July 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM
I would like to setup a shortcut key to toggle the touchpad on and off on my laptop. I like the scrolling, but when I'm typing I'm constantly bumping the pad with the heel of my hand, causing the cursor to jump and all sorts of bad things to happen. Any way to do this easily (i.e. without going into the keyboard config menu every time)?

nexus_2006
July 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
Anyone know what commands the applet uses to turn the pad on and off? Or is there a way to monitor the applet to find out how it does it? I could probably cobble together a script and hotkey it if I knew what the commands were...

nexus_2006
July 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
*sad, sorry, shameless bump*

Dullstar
July 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
I'd help you if I could. Honestly, you appear to get the same problem as I do every time I use a laptop!

decomp
August 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Well I can't help with a keyboard shortcut but I dealt with the annoying touchpad issue with this script I found as an answer to someone elses question about it.. I wish I could remember who provided the answer to give credit :( Anyways:

1. go to system > preferences > startup applications
2. click 'add'
3. Name it whatever you want & add 'syndaemon -d -i 0.5' (without quotes) to the command box.
4. logout & log back in (i think you have to log out? I forget)

This will make it so that after you hit a key, your touchpad will be disabled for a certain amount of time. I have mine set to 0.5 - i think 1 or 2 seconds is more common but whatever. You can find more info on
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/syndaemon1.html
hope that helps!