PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] don't see the option to create a partition on install

anico
July 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hello,
i'm trying to install ubuntu 9.04 on a Compaq Presario X1000 (old machine).. for some reason, it's not showing me the option to select the size of the partition during the installation - only the one where it selects the entire disk or the manual one (advanced). I used the live CD to open up Gparted but when i tried to resize the disk.. it only let me resize it by 8MB. I have about 40GB free on this computer so i don't know why it's not letting me create a larger Free Space for ubuntu to use it.
Thanks a lot!

merlinus
July 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM
What other os are you running?

anico
July 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM
I'm running windows XP, i want to make a dual boot. I've done this before on vista, so i'm guessing it's an XP problem?

merlinus
July 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Be sure to defrag windows several times, and you also may have to disable the paging file as well. It usually takes up lots of room at the end of the partition. The option is probably somewhere in system tools.

Then restart and delete pagefile.sys, defrag, and then try resizing with gparted.

anico
July 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
i did refrag twice but i'll give it a go again! and disable the paging file.
thanks for your advice

anico
July 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM
ugh.. no luck.. i still can't seem to create a partition for ubuntu.

merlinus
July 21st, 2009, 11:02 PM
Can you post a screenshot from gparted?

anico
July 21st, 2009, 11:26 PM
here are the screenshots of Gparted...should i consider installing ubuntu within windows? i see it's an option in 9.04 but is it worth it?

merlinus
July 21st, 2009, 11:31 PM
I assume that sda1 is unmounted...

Also, there appears to be some kind of warning icon on it.

merlinus
July 21st, 2009, 11:33 PM
I assume that sda1 is unmounted...

Also, there appears to be some kind of warning icon on it.

You might try gparted live, which is a later version than on the ubuntu install disk.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Also, if you rightclick on sda1, there is an information selection which may help.