PDA

View Full Version : An idea for Ubuntu.

Shibblet
July 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM
Stop worrying about all the drivers!

Give Ubuntu the ability to get online (if drivers are necessary), then give the user access to an online repository of stable drivers. Add this into the installer.

Is this even possible?

Jimleko211
July 21st, 2009, 09:19 PM
Most of the drivers people worry about nowadays are internet drivers, so I don't think this would help.

baseface
July 21st, 2009, 09:27 PM
wtf?

Tibuda
July 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM
Possible, yes. But that would mean nothing if the drivers are not available.

EDIT: This feature already exists. I have downloaded my Nvidia driver using ubuntu hardware manager.

Grant A.
July 21st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Most of the drivers people worry about nowadays are internet drivers, so I don't think this would help.

Well, Ubuntu isn't exactly known for making sense.

http://kr0n05931.wordpress.com/files/2009/07/networking-forums-fail.png

Jimleko211
July 21st, 2009, 09:38 PM
EDIT: This feature already exists. I have downloaded my Nvidia driver using ubuntu hardware manager.

He's speaking of doing it during installation. You can download your Nvidia driver after installation, but I tried that once, and it crashed my gdm permanently. I just reinstalled, much easier than trying to fix it.

Jimleko211
July 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM

http://kr0n05931.wordpress.com/files/2009/07/networking-forums-fail.png

Haha! Great stuff there.

mhurst102282
July 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
99.9% of all Linux driver issues are with WI-FI cards so this would be 99.9% useless.

cariboo
July 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
Almost all the drivers for most hardware are located in /lib/modules. The only drivers you won't find there are closed source and bleeding edge hardware.

Tibuda
July 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM

[image]

Not really a fail. People can use the Internet from someone else computer.

He's speaking of doing it during installation. You can download your Nvidia driver after installation, but I tried that once, and it crashed my gdm permanently. I just reinstalled, much easier than trying to fix it.

I see. I missed "Add this into the installer".

Sealbhach
July 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
Not really a fail. People can use the Internet from someone else computer.

It's kinda funny though, a bit like "keyboard not detected, press any key to continue".

Shibblet
July 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
Well, the way that I see it is...

During a live CD installation, you've loaded the kernel from the CD, and at this point, drivers could be tested without any problems to the system.

Even to the point of loading an ATI driver for an Nvidia card, and if it doesn't work, unload the thing and try again.

MasterNetra
July 21st, 2009, 11:35 PM
What annoyes me is that for me when I load up on LiveCD I cannot use my wireless card, not because the CD doesn't have the driver but bcause it "needs" to restart to use it! I wish this would be fixed.

init1
July 22nd, 2009, 12:39 AM
What annoyes me is that for me when I load up on LiveCD I cannot use my wireless card, not because the CD doesn't have the driver but bcause it "needs" to restart to use it! I wish this would be fixed.
Yeah, I had similar problems with my Broadcom card when I was using NDISWrapper. I would have to restart to change wireless networks.