PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] x.org can't find display during install

vasechka
July 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I'm installing Ubuntu x64 on the system. Every time I run either installer or installer in safe mode I get message that x.org can't locate display.
any way to use textmode installer ?
i have nvidisa quadro fx370 cards. two of them in the system.

thanks

tommcd
July 22nd, 2009, 04:45 AM
any way to use textmode installer ?
i have nvidisa quadro fx370 cards. two of them in the system.

Try using the Ubuntu 9.04 alternate install CD. The alternate CD is a text based installer that should avoid the graphics problem you are having with the live CD.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

If you still have problems with the 64 bit (amd64) alternate CD, then try the 32 bit (i386) alternate CD.

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

vasechka
July 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
@tommcd thanks. I was able to install ubuntu with alternate cd - somehow it was hidden from my eyes, when I was looking for it.
The problem still exists with the xorg - can't get it up and running despite following directions on this forum..

Theory5
July 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
I had a problem with that once. It was on my live CD of ubuntu 7.10. I belive xstart restarts x.org and there is a config file you can run first to make it work with your display.

tommcd
July 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM
The problem still exists with the xorg - can't get it up and running despite following directions on this forum..
So you got Ubuntu installed, but you can't get to a graphical desktop, is that right? What happens when you bootup Ubuntu?

Try booting to recovery mode and choose the option xfix fix video then reboot.
Then if you (hopefully) get to the graphical desktop, go to: system > administration > hardware_drivers and see if you can enable the nvidia driver.