PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual-boot + Virtualization with same Ubuntu

Neard
July 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
I'm wanting to install Ubuntu 9.04 on an external USB hard drive for a dual-boot(ish) solution with Windows Vista. That part's not the issue. What I'd really like to do is something similar to Parallels for OS X - virtualize the same Ubuntu I dual-boot.

I know next to nothing when it comes to Linux back-end stuff, and very little about modern virtualization (I used to play with Bochs ages ago, but the current stuff like VMWare has me stumped a bit). So, is this a possible scenario? Would it be too hard on the Ubuntu system to handle two different sets of hardware, or is it possible now to emulate all my hardware in the virtual machine?

I don't have a problem setting up the virtualization or anything like that, I just need to make sure I'm not gonna end up with a crapped-out copy of Ubuntu at the end of the day...

And I'm being vague about the virtualization tool on purpose; I'll use whatever is recommended (well, if it's beer-free, I'm a broke college student...). I do have a copy of VMWare Player that I've messed around with a minute bit. But anything that works is fine with me. And hey, if something like coLinux will do it, even better.

Thanks!

bacil
July 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
Hi, i have tested it other way round. I have two hw porfiles in win xp and i can either boot them straight in dual boot and or in to VirualBox when i ma bootet to my linux

havent tried this oter way round, but may have go when i find some spare time

Neard
July 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hi, i have tested it other way round. I have two hw porfiles in win xp and i can either boot them straight in dual boot and or in to VirualBox when i ma bootet to my linux

havent tried this oter way round, but may have go when i find some spare time

I had no idea you could do that with Windows; I thought it really messed it up moving between hardwares, made it even more unstable. Did it work well?

Heck, if Windows can do it, Linux can do it!

Neard
July 23rd, 2009, 03:38 AM
I'm abandoning this thread, and reposting it as a different question; if an admin has a conflict with this, feel free to delete this thread; however, I feel the new question is best without the clutter of this one above it.