PDA

View Full Version : Good media player, music style

andru183
July 21st, 2009, 03:08 PM
if u like your media player and belive others need to know what it is and the best parts about it trow sum info down here, if plugins and stuff do it for you too let us know

gnomeuser
July 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
I like Banshee, one of the reasons I think Banshee is great is that it has superior design. It's a fairly small core and everything is glued together as extensions. This is very elegant and very expendable. As a user that might seem like pointless technobabble but in the end it means that Banshee consistently delivers exciting functionality, it allows for powerful scripting and if any one bit doesn't seem perfect it can be replaced without a major rewrite. Good design is everything when it comes to ensuring that your applications has a bright future and can continue to do what users expect.

This ensures that Banshee has steady development, a vibrant and continually growing community that provides a strong media player with fully formed features. It also means that you as a user can be sure that new versions will continue to deliver excitement on your platform of choice.

Some of the things I am currently excited about in Banshee would be it's powerful library which scales well and allows for a multitude tags and other metadata to be handled.

Sharing of data over Telepathy with your friends, as integration points with Empathy. This is very sexy, a zero configuration needed way of browsing your friends media collection and fetching what you want (even just metadata). (this feature is stll in development for this years Google Summer of Code).

Spectrum analysis based playlists to create playlists of similar songs (requires the Mirage plugin).

Great podcast support and as Banshee is a full featured media player it also seamlessly handles video podcasts without complaints.

The multiple frontends, being just plugins the interface itself can be replaced. As such we have several already and most exciting is probably the interface that is suitable for netbooks called Cubano which is very sexy and elegant without losing focus on usability.

The development team, it continues to grow every day and with every mind comes new ideas and burning passion. The future of Banshee is looking very bright. The whole community around Banshee is very pleasant and knowledgeable.

Bug handling is the best of any project I have ever been involved with.

All in all I think Banshee is by far the best player now, it has it's warts but thanks to it's passionate community and superior design they are rapidly disappearing.

.Maleficus.
July 21st, 2009, 04:37 PM
I've got three that I like.

1. ncmpcpp - Very simple frontend to MPD. It's lightweight, easy to use, fast and very feature-packed for a terminal music player. Because it uses MPD, it doesn't need X to be running to use which is great for when I need to login/out but still want my music playing.

2. Amarok 2 - Another very good player. I like it much better than 1.x, despite what people say about it. I don't use it too often so I don't have a lot to say about it, but it suits my needs and comes in a nice looking package.

3. Songbird - The player I use on Windows (it's cross platform). Because it uses Gecko and XULRunner, there are tons of addons just like Firefox to give you a very customizable player. It's a little bit on the heavy side but it works great and looks great too.

mamamia88
July 21st, 2009, 05:01 PM
i use rythmbox for music/podcasts and i use vlc for movies

LIB53
July 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
I used to use Banshee, but after using Songbird, Banshee seemed very lacking, so i use Songbird. Songbird is pretty good other than the fact that it has a relatively big memory footprint. They said they'd focus on fixing that for the next release though, so i definitely feel they're on the right track. Not mention that Songbird does a ton of things given add-on extensibility.

Chrisclap
July 21st, 2009, 05:32 PM
The best media i have come across an the one i use all the time is offered for free download from Moovida.

It arranges all the media files on your computer adding useful infromation to them such as for a movie file it adds fan art work ana synopsis, that one thing i really like cuz i download loads of movies an it is good to get a synopsis on it before you watch it.

Any way i am blabbering on here it is - http://www.moovida.com (http://www.moovida.com/):popcorn:
ENJOY \\:D/