PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus briefly ignoring keyboard shortcuts

bobince
July 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
This is a trivial thing but it's driving me crazy.

After (a) opening a new nautilus window, or (b) navigating to a new directory in an existing nautilus window, there is often — but not always — a brief pause of a second or two where nautilus will not react to certain keyboard shortcuts.

The ones I have noticed as being ignored are F2 (rename) and ^X/^C (cut, copy). On the other hand, the non-destructive and navigational shortcuts like the arrow keys, backspace and ^A (select all) work fine.

This is particularly frustrating when trying to move files quickly using the keyboard interface: navigate into a folder, ^A, ^X, backspace to parent folder, move to new folder, ^V... Oh, it ignored the ^X in the middle so the paste doesn't work. Argh. You have to hit ^X repeatedly until the status bar acknowledges that a cut has actually taken place. (“...will be moved if you select the Paste command”)

It's not just me, right? Other people experience this? Can it be fixed? Is it deliberate for some harebrained reason? (I ask that because Windows Explorer in XP had a similar intermittant misbehaviour where F2 would be ignored for a second on a newly-focused window.)

rvdavid
November 20th, 2009, 07:26 AM
It's not just me, right? Other people experience this? Can it be fixed? Is it deliberate for some harebrained reason? (I ask that because Windows Explorer in XP had a similar intermittant misbehaviour where F2 would be ignored for a second on a newly-focused window.)

+1 dude. I get this as well. There's a bug report here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/390662

mojo2012
December 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, this issue happens to me all the time. I hate Nautilus for being os buggy.