PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Major issues after last update

schildkröte
July 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM
I hope this is the right forum. I have just updated my Jaunty x64 system on my Acer laptop. Up until now everything has worked practically flawlessly. However, after the last update last night I have had major problems (the update before that, about 2 weeks ago has worked without problems).

1. I tried to boot up my computer and after I logged in, my desktop background picture did not load properly and I was unable to use the drop-down menus in the upper left corner. The upper right corner with my name and the Quit button did not load. Pressing the off button on my computer did not bring up the Shutdown window as usual and so I had to cut the power to reboot.

2. After reboot, the Acer screen, waiting for a request to enter the bios, was not displaying properly (lines from top to bottom). Different imperfections were also present in the GRUB loading screen and on the ubuntu loading screen. This time the login screen did not appear and the system logged me in, I could make out my files on the desktop, but the screen was blurred even more and I was unable to use any of the menus.

3.-7. The next couple of reboots, the login screen again did not appear and my desktop became more and more blurry. Interestingly, there was some reminiscence of my bios loading screen or my ubuntu loading screen, although the colours were altered/inverted and there were a few of them scattered across my screen, smaller in size. Then I left on my computer for 10 minutes and after the next reboot the cycle repeated at step 1 (still unusable unfortunately), so that this time the login screen reappeared.

I am completely gobsmacked and have no idea how to resolve the issue. I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for your help.

P.S.: Now I left on my computer for more than 10 minutes in the unusable condition of step 7 and after reboot it was working normally for a couple of reboots. :confused: