PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't boot from CD

ktat
July 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Recently I have been playing around with installing a variety of OSs on my pc. I have 2 HDDs, the first is 250Gb sata, on it I run Jaunty and have all my other personal files. The 2nd is an 80Gb IDE drive which has Fedora and Karmic and others. This was working fine until I decided I need to be able to use EXPee.

After some hiccups in installing EXpee it seemed to be working ok. Then my problem. I started having issues with getting access to other OSs, so I tried booting SGB from a cd to sort out GRUB - I wasn't having much success and then, for no apparent reason, I could no longer boot anything from my cd drive.

I achieve a workaround by swapping the 80Gb HDD for another and found I can still access the 250Gb HDD as well as boot cds. But when I put the 80Gb HDD back in it doesn't matter what boot order I have things in the BIOS - all I get is:

Grub loading, please wait...
then nothing (sometimes gives error 5)

Mighty_Joe
July 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM
I achieve a workaround by swapping the 80Gb HDD for another and found I can still access the 250Gb HDD as well as boot cds. But when I put the 80Gb HDD back in it doesn't matter what boot order I have things in the BIOS

Sure sounds like a bad hard drive.

Theory5
July 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Sounds more like a device conflict to me. Im not too familiar with grub and I have no idea what EXPee is. I have never heard of a HDD failing and blocking access to others but I bet it could happen. is EXPee on the 80gb? look around online, it might be causing some sort of conflict. What device is master and slave?

philcamlin
July 21st, 2009, 04:21 PM
Sounds more like a device conflict to me. Im not too familiar with grub and I have no idea what EXPee is. I have never heard of a HDD failing and blocking access to others but I bet it could happen. is EXPee on the 80gb? look around online, it might be causing some sort of conflict. What device is master and slave?

windows xp :P

it looks liek a bad hdd though

ktat
July 22nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Sure sounds like a bad hard drive. Ok, so is there an easy way to determine whether or not my 80Gb HDD has died.

I will try it in isolation on another pc, by the way - yes, Expee is on the 80Gb HDD.

ktat
July 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for your help - seems the HDD is ok - works fine in another pc. It's the CD player that's dead.