PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I totally remove all traces of Ubuntu One on my computer?

wersdaluv
July 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM
I want to have a fresh start with Ubuntu One. My configuration is borked. I reinstalled it for a few times but it still isn't working. I still don't see the connect button when accessing the "Ubuntu One" folder on Nautilus.

How do I remove all traces of Ubuntu One on my computer? I want to have something fresh. That might make Ubuntu One work for me.

cbtengr
July 21st, 2009, 12:52 PM
In Terminal try:

sudo apt-get remove –purge PACKAGENAME

Are you installing in 8.10? See this thread:

https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+question/73276

Mia1990
July 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Remove the ppa first then

sudo apt-get remove –purge ubuntuone

I think that will do it

wersdaluv
July 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
All traces, huh? Let's see :D hehe

I'm on Jaunty :D

EDIT:
It doesn't... And oh, I purged with Synaptic. The code's invalid

hockeyhead019
July 23rd, 2009, 03:39 AM
what do you mean you purged with synaptic?

u typed those commands into the terminal right? make sure you're typing:

sudo apt-get remove -purge ubuntuone

into the terminal and not the synaptic search bar :)

growingneeds
August 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
sudo apt-get remove --purge ubuntuone

pyjimbo
September 6th, 2009, 01:07 AM
This did not work for me. I needed to do.

sudo apt-get remove --purge ubuntuone-client

cariboo
September 6th, 2009, 11:59 PM
You can also add a wildcard to the command:

sudo apt-get purge ubuntuone*

james_mcl
October 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but will these commands still remove all traces of Ubuntu One on a Karmic install?

(Not the RC or beta, I mean the final version when it comes out.)

joshuahoover
October 26th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but will these commands still remove all traces of Ubuntu One on a Karmic install?

(Not the RC or beta, I mean the final version when it comes out.)

For those interested in removing, re-installing, and testing their new Ubuntu One install, please see this newly created FAQ: https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+faq/778

clicker4721
January 6th, 2010, 09:13 AM
@ joshuahoover: As far as actually getting rid of the program and packages, the thread you gave worked beautifully. But what about the bazillion dependencies it installed with it? Those are just hogging space now. I want to completely get rid of it, without intent to re-install because I use KDE and they do not play well together.

joshuahoover
January 15th, 2010, 04:44 PM
@ joshuahoover: As far as actually getting rid of the program and packages, the thread you gave worked beautifully. But what about the bazillion dependencies it installed with it? Those are just hogging space now. I want to completely get rid of it, without intent to re-install because I use KDE and they do not play well together.

You should be able to run the following command from a terminal session to remove all unused dependencies: sudo apt-get autoremove

This will show you the packages apt will remove and prompt you to allow it or not.

Thank you,

Joshua

clicker4721
February 3rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
You should be able to run the following command from a terminal session to remove all unused dependencies: sudo apt-get autoremove

This will show you the packages apt will remove and prompt you to allow it or not.

Thank you,

Joshua
Okay, perfect. Thank you a ton.

spiralx
February 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Josh, I'm on 9.10. When I tried your thread, the terminal said "rm" was an unknown option.

Whenever I click Ubuntu One in the Applications - Internet menu, it comes up with an error, something like "can't find url: ch... shiretoko" - which makes sense (kind of), since Firefox has moved on apace since them thar days!

But - don't know why it should want to "find shiretoko", or what to do about it. So I thought I'd try un-installing, and re-installing. But - so far, no go.

(I am told Dropbox is a better option, anyway...?)

joshuahoover
February 11th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Josh, I'm on 9.10. When I tried your thread, the terminal said "rm" was an unknown option.

Whenever I click Ubuntu One in the Applications - Internet menu, it comes up with an error, something like "can't find url: ch... shiretoko" - which makes sense (kind of), since Firefox has moved on apace since them thar days!

But - don't know why it should want to "find shiretoko", or what to do about it. So I thought I'd try un-installing, and re-installing. But - so far, no go.

(I am told Dropbox is a better option, anyway...?)

It sounds like you may need to check your preferred web browser at: System->Preferences->Preferred Applications and make sure that your browser of choice is set properly there.

Thanks,

Joshua

spiralx
February 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Ahhh...! Light dawns! Many thanks! :D

I guess it came from when I manually added 3.5 (shiretoko) over the older version in a previous incarnation of Ubuntu, many months ago now! When I upgraded to 9.10, it took the data with it...

karthick87
June 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I am not using ubuntuone,so is it safe to remove ubuntuone from my system..?

duanedesign
June 10th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I am not using ubuntuone,so is it safe to remove ubuntuone from my system..?

yes it is safe. Just follow the first 7 steps of this FAQ (https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+faq/778)

smartmeister
August 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
thanks a lot, everything went went after reinstalling ubuntu one

Gschischa
October 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM
try this (as root)

dpkg --get-selections|grep ubuntuone|grep -v 'deinstall'|awk '{ print $1}'|xargs apt-get -y purge

wyrvern
May 14th, 2012, 11:58 AM
To fallback entirely, -- ie (gnome classic, etc) 11.10 (is my setup),
should work for some others unless you try to _over_ configure
your setup.

read this URL :

http://linux-software-news-tutorials.blogspot.com/2011/10/ubuntu-1110-oneiric-remove-unity-and.html

- wyr

oldos2er
May 14th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Old thread closed.