PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] eeePC 1000h -- Wi-Fi stopped working

joeinbend
July 21st, 2009, 06:07 AM
I have 9.04 Desktop on my 1000h eeePC, and over the weekend my wi-fi stopped working. not sure what's going on! It's definitely something in Ubuntu, because if I reboot and go into Windows (ugh..), it is working normally. I'm guessing it's due to an update, unfortunately I'm sort of at a loss for where to look. I had turned on all update options (including the Jaunty Proposed, and Unsupported) to fix a problem a few months back, and I should have turned those updates off once the problem was fixed! Can you guys point me in the right direction to pull the info I need to diagnose this?

Thanks!

martinbaselier
July 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
Open a terminal (it's in accessories )

(you can copy the command and paste it in the terminal either by ctrl+shift+v or by choosing paste, in the right mouse button menu - if you use a 3 button mouse, you can use the middle mouse button to paste a selected text)

When you open a terminal and type lspci, you will see your card in between.
next type
sudo lspci -v -s CARDNUMBER. (replace this with the number you see in the list)

example:

lspci
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE)
06:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
06:06.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5788 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
06:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB21 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
sudo lspci -v -s 06:03.0
06:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1001
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
Memory at c8214000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: ipw2200
Kernel modules: ipw2200

Could you please post the output for your card, to show a bit more details. (you can select the text in the terminal with your mouse and then copy with ctrl+shift+c or by selecting copy from the right mouse button menu)

Next thing interesting would be to know a bit more about the wireless connection. For this type:
iwconfig
please post the output of that too.

joeinbend
July 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
Sorry for the late reply, I did follow your guide, and got some strange results. My 802.11 card comes up as a RaLink RT2860. The line below that raises an eyebrow is the "access denied". Here's the output of my lspci -v -s 01:00.0

01:00.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2860
Subsystem: RaLink Device 2790
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
Memory at fbef0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64k]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: rt2860
Kernel modules: rt2860sta

superprash2003
July 23rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
post output of lshw -C network

joeinbend
July 24th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Here is my output:

sudo lshw -C network
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: L1e Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
vendor: Attansic Technology Corp.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: b0
serial: 00:24:8c:01:98:ae
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=ATL1E driverversion=1.0.0.7-NAPI duplex=half firmware=L1e ip=192.168.4.189 latency=0 link=yes module=atl1e multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: RT2860
vendor: RaLink
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: ra0
version: 00
serial: 00:22:43:5d:a8:62
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2860 latency=0 module=rt2860sta multicast=yes wireless=RT2860 Wireless
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: 32:15:d7:72:4e:f7
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

Crafty Kisses
July 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I have 9.04 Desktop on my 1000h eeePC, and over the weekend my wi-fi stopped working. not sure what's going on! It's definitely something in Ubuntu, because if I reboot and go into Windows (ugh..), it is working normally. I'm guessing it's due to an update, unfortunately I'm sort of at a loss for where to look. I had turned on all update options (including the Jaunty Proposed, and Unsupported) to fix a problem a few months back, and I should have turned those updates off once the problem was fixed! Can you guys point me in the right direction to pull the info I need to diagnose this?

Thanks!

I guess the first thing to do is narrow down what wireless card you have, since it's an Eee PC, you probably have Atheros. What are the results of the following?

lspci

joeinbend
July 24th, 2009, 05:57 AM
We actually already covered that, details are in post #3. Thanks!

joeinbend
July 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Well unfortunately for "the cause", I didnt have time to monkey around with this problem anymore. I reinstalled 9.04, and turned on the Jaunty Proposed, but not the Unsupported updates, ran all updates, rebooted, and all is well, no more broken Wi-Fi. If anyone else experiences the problem I did, I hope a resolution will be found.

lambdacore
August 7th, 2009, 03:22 PM
i do have this annoying, annoying problem.
i have an eee pc 1000 ha and ubuntu network remix (9.04).

once in a while, like almost once a day, the wifi just deconnects.
if i reboot, the wifi detects no networks at all.
sometimes, after a couple of reboots, it starts working again.
i hate that.

here's the output asked up to now :

link@lambdacore:~$ sudo lspci -v -s 01:00.0
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Device 1a3b:1026
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
Memory at fbef0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=1
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel <?>
Kernel driver in use: ath5k_pci
Kernel modules: ath_pci, ath5k

link@lambdacore:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B Power Management:off Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0 Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

pan0 no wireless extensions.

link@lambdacore:~$ sudo lshw -C network *-network description: Ethernet interface product: L1e Gigabit Ethernet Adapter vendor: Attansic Technology Corp. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0 logical name: eth0 version: b0 serial: 00:24:8c:68:12:11 capacity: 100MB/s width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=ATL1E driverversion=1.0.0.7-NAPI firmware=L1e latency=0 link=no module=atl1e multicast=yes port=twisted pair *-network DISABLED description: Wireless interface product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter vendor: Atheros Communications Inc. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0 logical name: wmaster0 version: 01 serial: 00:22:43:7c:43:2b width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k_pci latency=0 module=ath5k multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg *-network DISABLED description: Ethernet interface physical id: 1 logical name: pan0 serial: ea:6c:6b:1a:51:bb capabilities: ethernet physical configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

jdcipher
September 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
I'm in the same boat here... I have 9.04 Netbook Remix installed fresh - I can connect to unprotected wireless networks and even WEP enabled, but have had little luck getting my netbook to connect to my WPA2 Personal (TKIP) encrypted wifi access point.

I have tried the following:
Fresh install, no updates
Fresh install, recommended updates (approved)
Switched internal wifi card to dell 1390 card (and installed the correct drivers)

In each cae, the netbook was able to connect to unprotected wifi networks. If I reboot into Windows XP, it works find (both the dell 1390 card and the RALink card work fine).

I have also installed 9.04 desktop edition on my thinkpad T60, and it works, but takes a LONG time to connect. I used to have OS X on the thinkpad and my eee pc - and it could connect nearly instantly on both machines.

So, I'm sure it's not a hardware issue and I'm at a loss as to why it's happening. If anyone can help out, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Flash858
September 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM
After you reboot Ubuntu, hit F2. I would wager the wlan is disabled in the bios. I have been having the same exact issue, and the workaround is to enable it in the bios, hit f10, say OK, then let it boot into Ubuntu.

jdcipher
September 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hi - Thanks for the response. I know the WLAN adapter is enabled in the bios because it works fine with WEP and unencrypted networks. It also works fine in XP. So, it must be a driver issue.

Thanks,
Jeff

drpjkurian
September 1st, 2009, 06:04 PM
Hi lambdacore

Well i think you can try madwifi drivers for your atheros card. I have posted a thread of how to install madwifi for jaunty.
See my thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1240781

with regards
Dr Kurian

DamITman
September 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM
I recently encountered this problem, I'm willing to wager you're using EEEbuntu & you've just installed the linux-kernel-eb update. This killed my Atheros wireless card, and due to lack of previous experience lead to several clean re-installs to isolate which update killed it.

After all that I decided it would be best to avoid that update until my knowledge of linux expands a bit.

*edit* Dr. Kurians' post regarding madwifi-ng came in handy though after official kernel updates.

jdcipher
September 1st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hi lambdacore

Well i think you can try madwifi drivers for your atheros card. I have posted a thread of how to install madwifi for jaunty.
See my thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1240781

with regards
Dr Kurian

Thanks so much... I will try it tonight when I am home and report back.

Jeff

jdcipher
September 2nd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Thanks so much... I will try it tonight when I am home and report back.

Jeff

I followed the instructions, and think i have madwifi installed... but no change... still won't connect to my wpa2 personal network... :(

jdcipher
September 3rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
I followed the instructions, and think i have madwifi installed... but no change... still won't connect to my wpa2 personal network... :(

After much tweaking and playing around with wireless settings... i found the problem. When I disable the SSID broadcast my ubuntu eeepc cannot connect to the access point. I re-enabled ssid broadcast and now it works!