PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Headphone Jack Issues

David_Waller
July 21st, 2009, 05:19 AM
I'm a new convert over to Ubuntu Linux, installed it, everything has been wonderful on my PC except my headphone jack.

#1. I have to pull the headphone plug slightly out for it to play through the headphones
#2. when it does play through headphones it plays through cpu speakers also

I have a Asus G50V gaming laptop...

I would appreciate any feedback or help...

david.waller@ngc.com

Thanks alot!
Dave

Tman5293
July 21st, 2009, 05:34 AM
This has nothing to do with Ubuntu. This is a hardware problem. Your headphone jack is screwed up.

philcamlin
July 21st, 2009, 05:36 AM
This has nothing to do with Ubuntu. This is a hardware problem. Your headphone jack is screwed up.

+1

when you have to pull out the jack halfway somethign internally is messed up not ubuntu :popcorn:

Tman5293
July 21st, 2009, 05:38 AM
Thank you for agreeing with me :lolflag:

jeppewinther
July 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
That said, it should be possible to disable the internal speakers.

Have you tried having a fiddle with the Volume Control?
Click the little speaker thing, then access it from there.

Front should be your internal speakers, try muting that. Or just click buttons at random until you get somewhere, or get stuck, then return with updates ;)

arvevans
July 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM
The headphone/speaker jack has an internal switch that is activated by inserting a plug into that jack. The quality of these tiny jacks is usually not very good. Also, inserting defective (i.e. CHEAP) plugs can damage the jack by bending the part that activates the switch.

This is a very common problem. Fiddling with the volume control, the front/back jack configuration, and any other software based control will not fix a mechanically defective jack problem.

Jacks on cheap motherboards are problematic because the internal contacts are plated with metal that corrodes and acts as an insulator instead of as a contact. Same situation with cheap chrome-plated plugs. Keeping the plugs clean helps to avoid contamination and thus corrosion of both plugs and jack internals.