PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: Caffeine for Linux 0.2 Released

nobodysbusiness
July 21st, 2009, 04:32 AM
Some of you may remember a thread last month about a new program called "Caffeine for Linux". It's a program to easily, temporarily disable the screensaver and powersaving features. In a nutshell, it stops your screen from going to sleep if you're giving a presentation or watching a long flash video on www.ted.com or something. Some people expressed interest in new developments with this software, which is why I'm posting this.

The next version has just been released, and it is much improved. The Launchpad project page is here (http://launchpad.net/caffeine), and the release announcement and installation instructions are available here (http://pragmattica.wordpress.com/2009/07/20/caffeine-for-linux-0-2-released/).

Any feedback is welcome.

sertse
July 21st, 2009, 04:40 AM
Is this still gnome only? I remember that last one that there were several issues getting it working with other WM/DE's..

Eviltechie
July 21st, 2009, 04:58 AM
Oh, I could use a program like this. I have to disable my screensaver to play games. (otherwise it starts during the game, crashing it)

Also, could an option be added that allows the disabling of notifications? They have a tendency to interrupt full screen apps just like screensavers do.

nobodysbusiness
July 21st, 2009, 12:56 PM
@sertse: It's now been tested on Kubuntu 9.04 and Xubuntu 9.04, so the situation is improving. Still no dpms though. Hopefully we'll put out a new release every month or two for the first little while, so you hopefully won't have long to wait.

@Eviltechie: I also use it to disable the screensaver for gaming. It's amazing how many full-screen games seem to have this problem. We actually have another feature that we're working on that could make things even easier. As for disabling notifications, that's a pretty good idea. We could include that as an option. I'll have to put that into a blueprint on the Launchpad site.

Nevon
August 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Is this still gnome only? I remember that last one that there were several issues getting it working with other WM/DE's..

It has only been tested in stock Gnome, KDE, and XFCE. However, it SHOULD work in any WM/DE which uses gnome-screensaver or kscreensaver. Now, that doesn't really mean much - considering that KDE, KDE and XFCE probably are the only desktop environments that make use of those screensavers, but still!

Once we've gotten Xscreensaver support going, we could officially support a whole lot more desktop environments.