PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with grub

tacodestroyer
July 21st, 2009, 04:27 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new here and to ubuntu. Put it on my laptop and it rocks so I got a cheap desktop and running it on my LCD TV. Have XP on it and I wanted to dual boot on it. One hangup, the grub window never loaded so it only boots to ubuntu.
I tried to reinstall ubuntu but ended up making two ubuntu partions. I just need to load windows and then I can delete the Ubuntu partion and reinstall it clean. Any thoughts on how to boot to windows from Ubuntu or add the grub?
I have tried the commands to through the terminal (the get grub) but doesn't seem to work. I tried downloading one of the 3rd party grub files magicboot or something and wouldn't install.

Thanks for the help,

J

jeppewinther
July 21st, 2009, 04:52 AM
Well, assuming you do have Grub installed as a boot loader right now, you can fix it by telling Grub you have a windows partition you would like to boot.

You will need some information to do that though, which can be found by opening a terminal and typing
sudo fdisk -l

That should give you a list of your partitions, identifiable as either a Linux partition, or an NTFS one, which is your Windows partition.

You're looking for something like this:

/dev/sda2 * 13996 14593 4803435 7 HPFS/NTFS

The important bit is the sdA2.

This is what we need to tell Grub where to look. A means the first Harddrive, 2 means the second partition. Grub starts counting at 0, So for me that'd be hd0,1.

We tell Grub where to look in the menu.lst, which can be reached here:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Right down the very bottom, you can copy paste the following, and replace hd0,1 with what fits on your harddrive.

title Windows XP
root (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

If that didn't make any sense, just post the results of

sudo fdisk -l
and I'll help you from there. And if it was all bloody useless, I do appologize ;)

mthalis
July 21st, 2009, 06:35 AM
Protect your grub after install windows read this
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows