PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu board

awakatanka
January 26th, 2006, 12:36 PM
The kubuntu forums aren't visit as much as the ubuntu forums. There is a kubuntu section here to and the problems getting much faster answered here then over there. Now i find it a pitty that the userbase is splitted in 2 boards.

I already posted about the 2 boards merged,but i don't see it happening.
Is it possible to dynamicly link the kubuntu section here to the real kubuntu forum? So if you click the kubuntu link here it rederict you to the kubuntu forum.

[-o<

zenwhen
January 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM
This probably will not be happening. We will continue to provide a Kubuntu section because our Kubuntu section seems to be working great for now. Providing a link to that forum, which has so many sections in common with ours would only serve to further divide our userbase and shallow the pool of helpful posters for the support sections. This is the basic reasoning that was used when this was suggested around the time that the Kubuntu forums came into being.

This is not an Ubuntu (Gnome) forum. Our goal is to provide a forum for the entire Ubuntu community. To that end, we have been successful. I don't see us pushing users off to another forum. We welcome Kubuntu users as we welcome any Ubuntu user, or anyone interested in becoming one.

awakatanka
January 26th, 2006, 01:45 PM
This probably will not be happening. We will continue to provide a Kubuntu section because our Kubuntu section seems to be working great for now. Providing a link to that forum, which has so many sections in common with ours would only serve to further divide our userbase and shallow the pool of helpful posters for the support sections. This is the basic reasoning that was used when this was suggested around the time that the Kubuntu forums came into being.

This is not an Ubuntu (Gnome) forum. Our goal is to provide a forum for the entire Ubuntu community. To that end, we have been successful. I don't see us pushing users off to another forum. We welcome Kubuntu users as we welcome any Ubuntu user, or anyone interested in becoming one.
Its a pitty then that they decided not to use 1 board for all (*)ubuntu versions. At this moment a lot of questions are not answerd at kubuntu boards because of the lack of users, the people that come there doing there best to answer, but you better can post the problem on this board because it will be answerd faster. Also i don't realy want to point them to this board because it will lead to a certain bleeding for that board. The seprate mainsite i can understand because of the differnce of the gui's it uses but seprate boards for almost the same problems is in my eyes strange.

But we have to accept the dissicions that are made, and i will try to answer the things i know there, but i'm also more on this side then on that side because of the quicker answers and more topics.

zenwhen
January 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Its a pitty then that they decided not to use 1 board for all (*)ubuntu versions. At this moment a lot of questions are not answerd at kubuntu boards because of the lack of users, the people that come there doing there best to answer, but you better can post the problem on this board because it will be answerd faster. Also i don't realy want to point them to this board because it will lead to a certain bleeding for that board. The seprate mainsite i can understand because of the differnce of the gui's it uses but seprate boards for almost the same problems is in my eyes strange.

But we have to accept the dissicions that are made, and i will try to answer the things i know there, but i'm also more on this side then on that side because of the quicker answers and more topics.

I am also not sure why those forums were created myself, and have always felt they were redundant and fairly uneeded. If some people are enjoying them, that is good. Myself... I just don't see the point other than having the URL name start with a K.

aysiu
January 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM
When the Kubuntu Forums first showed up, I thought they would divide the community, but they haven't. The Ubuntu Forums are still going strong. I don't know anyone who's "defected" over to the Kubuntu Forums. I spend some time over there myself to help out users, but (as you've probably noticed) I spend quite an enormous amount of time over here, too.

While theoretically these are not the Gnome Ubuntu forums, there is a general assumption that, unless stated otherwise, users are using Gnome. That's why people say, "Just sudo gedit /etc/fstab." Well, if you're using Kubuntu, you can't "just" sudo gedit /etc/fstab.

Nevertheless, I agree that more complete and faster answers can be found to even Kubuntu problems on this mainly Ubuntu forum.

No harm done, though.