PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bless Linux Parition with no OS X installed?

raronson
July 21st, 2009, 03:52 AM
Hi. I have a macbook4,1 with only the following on the drive:

/dev/sda1 * 1 29165 234260742+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 29165 30402 9937808 82 Linux swap / Solaris
I too was overzealous and wiped OS X completely before blessing the Linux partition. I have no plans to reinstall OS X, and to cement the deal, my superdrive was gimped by the famous firmware update (does not read/write dvd's).

My question is: is there a way to bless the Linux partition without an OS X install on the local machine? If it helps, I have another macbook and network storage. Also, I've installed Grub2 naively hoping that some EFI voodoo would take place with no luck.

Am I stuck looking at the gray screen for 30 seconds while the macbook slowly defaults to legacy boot mode, or can I somehow bless the Linux partition without a local install of OS X? It's not a huge issue, but I'm more curious than anything.

Thanks for any help.

pxwpxw
July 21st, 2009, 06:02 AM
Hi. I have a macbook4,1 with only the following on the drive:

/dev/sda1 * 1 29165 234260742+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 29165 30402 9937808 82 Linux swap / Solaris
I too was overzealous and wiped OS X completely before blessing the Linux partition. I have no plans to reinstall OS X, and to cement the deal, my superdrive was gimped by the famous firmware update (does not read/write dvd's).

My question is: is there a way to bless the Linux partition without an OS X install on the local machine? If it helps, I have another macbook and network storage. Also, I've installed Grub2 naively hoping that some EFI voodoo would take place with no luck.

Am I stuck looking at the gray screen for 30 seconds while the macbook slowly defaults to legacy boot mode, or can I somehow bless the Linux partition without a local install of OS X? It's not a huge issue, but I'm more curious than anything.

Thanks for any help.

If you have only grub1 or grub-pc (not efi) installed and a MSDOS partitoning scheme, you might be able to use the OSX DVD to setBoot for bootloader on the MBR.(the bless --device and legacy boot method) That is usually done before removing OSX.(Thread somewhere about that, speeding up from the 30 second wait), Might also be faster using the Alt/Option key.

If you had an hfsplus partiton with refit.efi or grub.efi or elilo.efi it could be blessed as efi and setBoot, faster. Not being sure what you have, there are various possibilities.

Richardcavell
July 21st, 2009, 03:25 PM
You can only bless a partition from within OS X. You need to get your hands on an OS X installation. It could be any - any OS X CD or DVD, or get someone to copy their OS X partition onto a USB key or external hard disk.

For the record, you can bless HFS files from within Ubuntu using hfsutils, but that's not HFS+ and it''s only blessing a file, not a partition.

Richard

raronson
July 21st, 2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks Richard. I think I'll copy over my wife's macbook partition to her external HFS+ usb drive on the network.

From here I'd just need to boot into it from this machine and bless the Linux partition?

Thanks for the help.

Richardcavell
July 22nd, 2009, 03:58 AM
Yes, that will work.

In fact, if you have a firewire cable and Firewire on both of the machines, you could boot her computer as an external hard drive (hold down T when booting it up) and boot off her partition directly.

Please note that the only operating system that will reliably boot externally is OS X. I wish Apple would fix this, but they don't seem to be in a hurry about it.

Richard

raronson
July 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
I think you just saved me a lot of time and trouble with the firewire suggestion. I remember reading that before somewhere, but it didn't register as a solution until you just mentioned it again. Cheers, mate.