PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Can't access network directories with Open File dialog

Luke has no name
July 21st, 2009, 01:24 AM
Correct me if I'm missing something. I want to load music files from my server through Exaile's "Open File" command, but when I'm in a file prompt-browser, none of my network shares are up (Samba or SFTP). Why is this?

baryonyx
July 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I noticed the same thing since I prefer exaile to rythmbox.

I'm guessing it's a result of how the developers implement the open dialog. The Ubuntu 'native' apps (rythmbox, totem) all display network bookmarks in the open dialog but banshee, exaile, vlc do not.

I've just resorted to using smbmount and sshfs instead of the gui to mount remote filesystems.

rmflagg
August 22nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
*Bump*

Does anyone have any idea as to why this happens? I would love to know the reason and if there is a fix available.

Thanks,
RMF

mbn18
August 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I am also very interested in finding a solution.

SFTP folders in my bookmark are not seen when I click 'open file' through some application ( like Deffuse ).

Other work as expected ( like Text editor ).

magicfab
January 9th, 2010, 01:00 AM
You should find those in the .gvfs folder in your home folder. I have no idea why :) I am looking for a master bug for this.

larseko
May 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
IMHO this is a serious shortcoming. Users except the same bookmarks, places and mount points in the file open chooser as in the default file manager (nautilus). I see that they haven't fixed this in lynx either. I can't really see why, because it seems so obvious that this should be how it worked :)

QueequegAZ
December 15th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Agreed. It's little things like this that keep me away from gnome. In KDE all the network locations show up in the places panel, or are accessed by typing smb:/[location] in the location field. The gnome open file dialog doesn't seem to let you open network locations at all. I would love to see this fixed, as some programs use a gtk file dialog (IE Chrome) and leave me no way to access networked files.

And no, I don't want to mount my network locations to a directory. It's unnecessary in KDE and shouldn't be necessary in gnome either.

Morbius1
December 15th, 2010, 04:47 PM
In KDE all the network locations show up in the places panel
Gnome: Places > Network

or are accessed by typing smb:/[location] in the location fieldSame in Nautilus.

The gnome open file dialog doesn't seem to let you open network locations at all. I'll admit that it does seem like some kind of prcticle joke by the developers but as stated above it's in a "hidden directory: When you're in the open file dialog, right click and select "show hidden files". Then go to .gvfs and your mounted remote share will be there.

I don't want to mount my network locations to a directory. It's unnecessary in KDE and shouldn't be necessary in gnome either.One way or another the remote share needs to be mounted. In Gnome when you go to Places > Network it will mount it to the .gvfs directory in your home directory.

Boondoklife
December 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Now I could be wrong on this but I recall reading some where that this has to do with the application being nautilus aware.

The easy fix is to just run:

cd
ln -s .gvfs Network

It will create a folder called Network that is a link to where the shares are mounted. From there you should be able to do what you need to do. Now if only this folder was made by default or provided by gvfs instead of that hidden directory, I mean you already know you mounted it and it is not like it makes things easier to fudge by changing it.

Morbius1
December 15th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Now if only this folder was made by default or provided by gvfs instead of that hidden directoryAmen. ;)