PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ad Woes

jhtracy
July 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Is there any way to change the content of the advertising that continually pops up as one goes from internet site to internet site? For example, years ago I acccidentally clicked on some stupid belly fat ad and I still get belly fat ads on many of the sites I visit. Surely there must be some way to get rid of this stuff????

Chemical Imbalance
July 20th, 2009, 11:28 PM
If you are using firefox, install the Adblock Plus add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

You could also be using an ISP that uses phorm or phorm-like technology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorm
If you find out your ISP is using phorm, then dump them.

If you are using Windows, you may have spyware or other malware.

bandgeek
July 20th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Were you using Firefox when you clicked on the ad the first time?

If so in Firefox go the Edit> Preferences> Privacy> Click show cookies> Click Remove All Cookies

Chemical Imbalance
July 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Were you using Firefox when you clicked on the ad the first time?

If so in Firefox go the Edit> Preferences> Privacy> Click show cookies> Click Remove All Cookies

I'd recommend setting firefox to automatically reject 3rd party cookies and to dump all cookies and privacy settings upon close.

CatKiller
July 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Adblock Plus is in the repositories. Another +1, though.

Another useful things to do is to find a custom hosts file and change your /etc/hosts accordingly. These work by redirecting a list of know ad servers to your own computer. Since your computer isn't serving ads you won't get them displayed, and you don't have to spare the bandwidth downloading ads that you don't want to see in the first place.

EDIT: Another +1 for rejecting third-party cookies. We obviously think alike, Chemical Imbalance, although you do it quicker :)

bandgeek
July 20th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I'd recommend setting firefox to automatically reject 3rd party cookies and to dump all cookies and privacy settings upon close.

+1 I do that also!

Chemical Imbalance
July 20th, 2009, 11:38 PM
We obviously think alike, Chemical Imbalance, although you do it quicker :)

;)

jhtracy
July 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Hey, thanks, Everyone! ;-}