PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install crash 79%

UbuntuniX
July 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I'm installing Ubuntu 9.04 with /home on a separate partition. When the installer gets to 79%, "creating user", ubiquity just crashes. :confused:

UbuntuniX
July 20th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I successfully installed on a separate, empty partition and can still access files on my old home partition, but this is quite an annoyance.

Bartender
July 20th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I wonder if the drive is damaged? Maybe try what they suggest in this thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1218063

UbuntuniX
July 21st, 2009, 01:25 AM
I wonder if the drive is damaged? Maybe try what they suggest in this thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1218063

I don't think it is; all my files are still intact. I ran badblocks and it didn't return any results.

UbuntuniX
July 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Still an issue. :(

UbuntuniX
July 25th, 2009, 06:09 PM
After having Debian installed briefly, I was able to install Ubuntu with no problems. Maybe a bug with formatting partitions?

lukjad
July 25th, 2009, 06:13 PM
It's possible. It could also just be some random bug.

markbuntu
July 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Did a bug report get generated?

If you have some other distros on the machine then ubiquity will crash trying to migrate your settings etc. You can try this, which is what I had to do.
Run the live cd and open a terminal and type

ubiquity --no-migration-assistant

The installer will run as usual but will not try to migrate anything.

UbuntuniX
July 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Did a bug report get generated?

If you have some other distros on the machine then ubiquity will crash trying to migrate your settings etc. You can try this, which is what I had to do.
Run the live cd and open a terminal and type

ubiquity --no-migration-assistant

The installer will run as usual but will not try to migrate anything.

No report, unfortunately. I don't know about migration because my old home directory had all settings and such deleted, just leaving music and documents and all that.

pacofvf
November 19th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I'm installing 9.04 in a toshiba with an old Ati graphics card, because 9.10 is a pain in the @$$, I have the same problem here, any news about this issue?

UbuntuniX
November 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I'm installing 9.04 in a toshiba with an old Ati graphics card, because 9.10 is a pain in the @$$, I have the same problem here, any news about this issue?

It seems to be a problem with gparted in Ubuntu; I installed Debian, wiping the partition, and was able to install Ubuntu after that.