PDA

View Full Version : What is missing in F/OSS accounting software?

walterbyrd
July 20th, 2009, 08:09 PM
One of the greatest deterrents to using Linux is the lack of acceptable accounting software. I have speculated about the reasons for this in my blog post:

http://techtoil.org/wiki/doku.php?id=articles:linux_accounting

I would like to know what others think. What keeps you from using f/oss accounting software? What products have you tried, and why did you reject them?

Tibuda
July 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
This article is not really about what is wrong in free/open source accounting software, but what is wrong in every accounting software except QuickBooks. This is not different from people that have to use AutoCAD, Adobe CS, and many other specific software.

adamthompson
August 2nd, 2009, 01:48 AM
What's missing in F/OSS accounting software is accountant support. I've been using SQL-Ledger, and I've been happy with it so far. But now I need to have balance sheets that are prepared by a CPA or PA. As far as I can tell, there are no accountants in the United States who support SQL-Ledger or LedgerSMB (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm probably going to switch to Quickbooks (in wine, if I can get that to work) even though I'll have to manually rekey years worth of data just so I can have something that a local accountant can work with.